• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors are off when PS CS2021 manages colors while printing

New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I print with a Canon Pro-1000. I have been doing this for quite some time and I achieved excellent results with Photoshop managing the colors and combining with the profile of my papers. Recently, however, the colors do not match when Photoshop manages the colors. I get a pretty good result when the printer manages the colors. I have installed the latest printer driver, the printer firmware is up to date and to be on the safe side I have also reinstalled Photoshop 2021. But without success. Can anyone help me? Attached is an example: on the left the printout where the printer managed the colors and on the right the printout where Photoshop managed the colors in combination with the correct paper profile

image0.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use Photoshop to manage colours have you also made sure that all colour management in the print diver is turned off. If not, the colour trnsforms could be happening twice resulting in bad colour.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks davescm. I've tried that but it didn't work to my regret....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I don't use a Mac , I'm a Windows user, but I'll tag @NB, colourmanagement net who has experience with print set up on the Mac.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks for the nudge Dave

tribuut

SO - somethings changed? and that’s broken printing for you. Have a think about what that might be?

I've never had any problems with 'Photoshop Manages Color' as long as the right (good quality/accurate) icc paper profile is chosen and the right media type is selected in the driver options.

I guess you were successfully using an icc paper profile installed by Canon?

Generally with 'Photoshop Manages Color', Photoshop switches off driver colour management for you.

[i.e. greys the options out]

Using 'Photoshop Manages Color' gives you the opportunity to select an icc paper profile of choice [and the rendering intent]. That's it's advantage, of course that means you can also print accurately on third party papers as long as you have a good profile, etc. 

Using 'Printer Manages Color' means that the printer software automatically selects a paper profile based on the media setting you use in the driver. [we don't know the rendering intent, its likely to be perceptual but I wouldn't bet on that]

IF you like the result from 'Printer Manages Color' you could just use 'Printer Manages Color' and have nice prints.

However there seems to be a reason why you'd like to use 'Photoshop Manages Color', perhaps 'Printer Manages Color' is OK but not JUST right.

IF you know exactly what icc paper profile the 'Printer Manages Color'  process is automatically selecting, then selecting that in 'Photoshop Manages Color' and selecting the right media settings should mean the prints match. 

If they don't match then carefully go through your settings and try both relative (with and without BPC) and perpetual in the 'Photoshop Manages Color' dialog.

Please let us know how you get on.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image specific issues causing the problems:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Seeing the output would help figure out what's 'off' here. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil/Andrew - Thanks for coming in on this one. I use Windows not Macs but am I right in thinking that there was an issue a while back on Macs where the wrong print drivers were being picked up and used (Airprint)? If so, could that have a bearing on what tribuut is seeing?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote:

Neil/Andrew - Thanks for coming in on this one. I use Windows not Macs but am I right in thinking that there was an issue a while back on Macs where the wrong print drivers were being picked up and used (Airprint)? If so, could that have a bearing on what tribuut is seeing?

Dave

Depends on how one 'updates' a printer driver. If you allow Apple to do it, you will likely get the wrong (Gutenprint) driver. So one should always download the drivers from the manufacturers site and not from Apple. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew

@tribuut As part of the testing with the images linked by thedigitaldog, can you also confirm you are seeing the Canon driver and not the Gutenprint driver.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your efforts in helping me. Most of what you guys recommended I had already done. But the good news is that it was probably a setting on my printer. Sorry for the inconvenience, I don't think this was a Photoshop issue. My printer was not recognizing the proper paper size. I kept overriding the printer by printing on the paper that was not recognized anyway. Now that I have been able to find how to get the printer to read the paper size itself, the color problem is solved. Don't ask me how this is possible, but after three days of research I'm especially happy that I can print again. Thanks again everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What may have happened is that in overriding the paper size it may have set the printer to a different media i.e. paper setting. An ICC colour profile is specific to the paper and media settings used in the printer when making the profile.

Good to hear it is working now.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines