• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors changed/corrupted in old JPEG images, what is this effect?

New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large series of old JPEGs coming from an old harddrive. They are all perfectly wrongly colored. If I change them to Grayscale they look fine. I can not find out what effect or color error has occurred, but I would like the original color back. 

Anybody has a clue what happened. It does not seem the same as what they call JPEG corrupted file. 

I am not sure how to name this problem, so forgive me if the question has been asked and answered before. 

3 honden.jpgautocoureur herman 02.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't corruption in the normal way. It may be that the app which wrote them did something weird which it could also undo. Never seen this affecting a whole collection of images before.

It might be a simple colour mapping or it might be beyond hope. To have a guess, see if you can find any pictures with colours you were certain of. For example, a picture which should have a clear blue sky. A picture by a bright red truck. A picture of a lime green jersey. By knowing roughly what the colours SHOULD be someone may be able to make a suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(To add: please post those few "reference" pictures and tell us EXACTLY what colour you believe they should show, and where).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

autocoureur herman 03.jpg

autocoureur herman 04.jpg

I found one that still has the original color, does that help?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another one

buffi mascotte.jpg

buffi mascotte.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might help someone. I'm afraid it's beyond me, but what you've found could be really useful. Let's see what ideas other people have...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for now. I just found out that the new Neural Filter 'Colorize' could do some magic, but it is still somewhat buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the incorrect version have been converted to CMYK mode with an embedded legacy custom CMYK ICC table/profile of SWOP (Coated), 20%. The damage has been baked into the image pixels, making possible recovery much harder than if this was an RGB image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. This weird solarization effect almost looks deliberate, like something people would play with back in the analog days. But the fact that there's a mystery CMYK embedded is the corpus delicti. Here's the cyan channel:

solarization1.jpg

Obviously, you can't recover something like this without rebuilding it completely. Possible, maybe. Worth the effort? Only you can decide. That's a lot of manual labor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this explanation and all for checking this. If it is embedded that's what it is.... sh*t happens. I did find the Neural 'Colorize' Filter though which does a good trick (no return to original colors though, but at least use-able)

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines