• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confused about brush presets

Enthusiast ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using the most recent version of PS CC.  I created a new brush group.  Within that group, I created a new brush preset, which included an array of brush settings.  I locked those setting.  I thought that the settings would affect only the new brush preset.  However, the settings changed for all brush settings.  Example: the soft round brush was no longer round.

I attempted to restore the soft round brush using Reset Tool.  I thought that would reset that particular instance of the brush tool, only the soft round brush.  Instead, it reset all instances of the brush tool, blowing away the new brush preset I had just created.

Can anyone tell me how to define and save settings for just one brush w/o affecting any other brush?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

To clarify what »locking« is supposed to do some screenshots: 

• a round brush without Shape Dynamics is selected 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.14.png

• a brush with Shape Dynamics is selected 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.36.png

• the Shape Dynamics are locked 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.43.png

• when selecting the Brush that doesn’t have Shape Dynamics again it assumes the locked Shape Dynamics – as documented and intended 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I locked those setting.«

Do you know what locking means in the Brush Settings Panel? 

Quote from 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-modifying-brushes.html

»To lock brush tip shape attributes (retaining them if you select another brush preset), click the unlock icon . To unlock the tip, click the lock icon .«

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Brushes, Brush Settings, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PresetsProblem1.JPG

PresetsProblem2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it seems that the problem is that you may not understand what locking is supposed to do. 

When you want to create a new Brush: Create a new Brush. 

When you want to change an existing Brush: Create a new Brush and remove the old one. 

When you want to apply some current settings to another Brush: Lock them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify what »locking« is supposed to do some screenshots: 

• a round brush without Shape Dynamics is selected 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.14.png

• a brush with Shape Dynamics is selected 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.36.png

• the Shape Dynamics are locked 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.43.png

• when selecting the Brush that doesn’t have Shape Dynamics again it assumes the locked Shape Dynamics – as documented and intended 

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.30.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doc.  We know we are in for an interesting question or two when you post to the forum.  There's something very wrong with your workflow by the sound of it.

Let's say you start with an existing preset, and you make a bunch of settings in the Brush Settings panel.

You click on the little cog icon in the brsu settings panel andd chose New Brush Preset

image.png

...and it will appear in the Right click brush panel

image.png

If you click on another existing preset it will lose the settings you applied to Doc's New Preset 

You can then create a new group and drag all your new presets into that group.  

Select the group, click on the cog icon and Export it

image.png

You can then delete that group, and at any time reload it from the right click panel

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: To me it seems that the problem is that you may not understand what locking is supposed to do. 

c.p, 100% correct.  I interpreted "To lock brush tip shape attributes (retaining them if you select another brush preset)..." to mean that just as parameters are being set for a particular brush preset, they also are being locked or protected for that particular brush preset.  Not so.

Setting me straight on that solved the problem.  If I were Jeff Bezos, I would send you guys each a million bucks.  Alas, I'm only able to send you a million thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doc that would come close to a thank you for every one of the questions you have asked here over the last few years. 😉 Keep them coming matey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines