Could not open because of disk error - Photoshop 2020 on macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

From Lightroom Classic:

Both lightroom and photoshop are the latest versions

I have the following issues transferring directly to Photoshop 2020 from lightroom.

When selecting "Edit in Photoshop 2020" I receive an error messge from Photoshop "Could not open "File Name" because of a disk error

Option to transfer to Photoshop from Lightroom "Merge to Panorama, Merge to HDR and Open as layers in Photoshop" are all blanked out

Open as Smart Object also receives the error as above.

Scratch Disk is selected (Macintosh HD) and I have over 800GB of free space

Running OS Catalina V 10.15.4

Can anyone please help with this?

Regards

Mark Smith

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Hi Mark,

Sorry that you're getting an error message "cannot open because of a disk error" in Photoshop while editing the image from Lightroom Classic

Could you please check the steps mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/edit-photoshop-command-missing-photoshop.html and see how it goes?

If that does not help, please try going to the System Preferences of the macOS, then Security and Privacy and add Photoshop to Accessibility under the Privacy tab. Also, grant

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Sorry that you're getting an error message "cannot open because of a disk error" in Photoshop while editing the image from Lightroom Classic

Could you please check the steps mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/edit-photoshop-command-missing-photoshop.html and see how it goes?

If that does not help, please try going to the System Preferences of the macOS, then Security and Privacy and add Photoshop to Accessibility under the Privacy tab. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop 2020 under the Files and Folders section.

Let us know if it helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil

I have carried out the following:

Removed and reinstalled Photoshop

All accesabilty changes as instructed

Removed the .plist file

Opened Photoshop

Results:

i can now use the Edit in Photoshop and open as a smart object

However, the other options are still greyed out.

the .plist files are different to the one I removedScreenshot 2020-04-02 at 16.42.36.png

com.adobe.photoshop.plist does not appear any longer.

A step forward at least

Regards

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil

Ignore my last message. All works fine now

Many thanks for your help

Regards

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I'm getting the same error message, I've followed the steps in the article but I still can't "edit in photoshop" from Lightroom. I also uninstalled PS and reinstalled. However the com.adobe.photoshop.plist file isn't there for me in the preferences folder. Am I missing a step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured out the solution.  I got this message because Photoshop did not have access to my hard drive.  Went to System Preferences Security and Privacy then go to files and folders and click on removable volumes. that added Photoshop to have access to my Harddrive and now it is working.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!  Worked like a charm.  Thanks so much for sharing your discovery with the rest of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.  I was having the same challenge until I saw your "fix" of click on removable volumes.  All working AOK now.  Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 from me too. 

Thanks for sharing the knowledge 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, how do you do this on a MacBook Pro? My bridges is fine but photoshop will not open, it cuts off everytime I try to open it 🙈 I've even re-set my laptop to its factory settings and updated all my versions 🤷🏼‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating Camera Raw fixed this issue for me (something for other users to try). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all of the suggestions on here but nothing is working for me. If I try to edit file either as is or a smart object a message pops up saying 

Could not open “_76A5499.CR3” because of a disk error.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, works one day and not another.  Done all above suggestions multiple times!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem on MacBook Pro.  Just started out of the blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know  if this will help, but my problem was finally solved by an Adobe tech - fixed several "permissions" on the computer and now LRC/PS are  working like they are supposed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi What were the permissions do you remember? I'm having the same issue and nothing is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines