• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Actions keeps getting imported when deleted

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to delete the default actions from the actions panel, but when I restart PS it is getting imported again.

I've overwritten the default actions in the \Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Required\Default Actions.atn

with an empty default actions folder atn file, but now it keeps importing itself with each start of PS so the list keeps growing (see attachment)

How do I get rid of this ?

I don't want to be forced to see actions I never use (especially not in button mode)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

I don't want to be a d*** or something but calling script manager to get something like a clean action pallette is pretty ridiculous and not very user friendly. I stay with my case... why are actions required and/or forced ?

By @Partnion Studio

I am not an employee of Adobe, like you, I'm just a user of their software. Therefore I don't know why Adobe make various programming decisions. I doubt that you would get an answer, but you could ask your question here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/photoshop/5f5f2092785c1f1e6cc4086b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.2 20210602.r.242 a4f6042 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Action Pallette prefences file becomes corrupted.    Resetting your prefences you will see Phptoshop set your Action Palettes to Adobe's Defuult Action Palette setup. You will loose all the changes you made to the Action Palette.  If you have saved the Action Sets you created into  .ATN files  ActionSetName.atn you can load your action sets into the restored Actions Palette.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JJMack,

thanks for your reply, the file is not corrupted, it is exported from the action panel itself.

I tried it on a different computer with fresh install and starting PS, delete the default actions, closed PS, started again...default actions are back. I don't want them, why is it 'required' (forced) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would Photoshop import actions that you deleted.   Photoshop does not automatically import or load action sets. You need to load actions set via Photoshop's UI or by dropping  *.atn file onto photoshop.  The only reason I can think why actions that you deleted would reappear is that the  Action Palette has been restored to Adobe default setup... 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand either, it always worked liked that indeed, but now when I even delete the Default Actions.atn from the Required folder it gives an not found error, so PS is trying to read/re-import the file because it 'sees' the actions pallette is empty... very confusing / anoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I delete all actions in my Actions palette.

Untitled-1.jpg
I close down photoshop and look in Photoshop preferences folder ans see my action preferences file "Actions Palette.psp" is 1K  I do not know why it is that large  I delete every action in the Action Palette.

image.png

Lets see what happens when I start  Photoshop will my Action Palette be empty or not.

No it is not empty it has some default Action sets  I have never seen before. Adobe must not like an empty  Actions Palette.

image.png

So I closed down Photoshop and see now my "Actions Palette.psp" is 29K 

image.png

I do not want those actions... So a copied my saved backup "Actions Palette.psp" over it.  My "Actions Palette.psp" file is now 1.3MB.

image.png

Yes that is better

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another (Win) user that can replicate this behaviour ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not empty the Action Platte it will not start empty. Is that actually a real problem for you. If you do not wan actions do not show the Actions palette. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac OS, the "Default Actions.atn" is installed within the application bundle.

On Win OS, the "Default Actions.atn" is installed at:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Required\Default Actions.atn

If you reset actions, this is the .atn file that is used.

If you customise the content, that will be used when actions are reset.

If you delete this .atn file, Photoshop will complain that it can't be found, you can then OK the error and Photoshop should then run OK.

You can also have the action set with no actual actions inside it, all Photoshop is looking for is an action set with the default name and default location on startup, it does not check that the action set contains any actions.

If one really does not wish to see this in the actions panel, the Script Events Manager could be setup to delete the action set on startup using either an action or, better yet a script, then it becomes a non-issue.

delete-def-atn.png

// Remove Default Actions Set
var idDlt = charIDToTypeID( "Dlt " );
    var desc215 = new ActionDescriptor();
    var idnull = charIDToTypeID( "null" );
        var ref3 = new ActionReference();
        var idASet = charIDToTypeID( "ASet" );
        ref3.putName( idASet, "Default Actions" );
    desc215.putReference( idnull, ref3 );
executeAction( idDlt, desc215, DialogModes.NO );

// Set Button Mode
app.runMenuItem(stringIDToTypeID("buttonMode"));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack

Thanks for your extensive reply, I just want to start an empty action pallette like I always could, only showing my actions in button mode.

Stephen@BanfieldAgency

Also thanks for your reply, I tested if it is checking for contents in the Default Actions folder and it turned out it does.

I removed the actions one by one restarting PS each time, once I deleted 'Save to PDF' and restarted PS the whole action set is imported again! After that I removed the duplicate set and removed all the actions except 'Save to PDF', now it stays like it was after shutdown but I don't want that actions, why is this action required ?

I know it is not a big deal, and sure I can click OK for the missing file error but it should not work like that in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire action set can be blank, there is no need to have any action files in the empty set/folder.

That being said, I wouldn't worry, just leave it there without removing any of the actions, leave it as is.

Then as I suggested, setup the script events manager to play an action or a script to automatically delete the default action set every time Photoshop is loaded, the end result is that the action set is gone, with no error pop ups etc.

There is no need to make this harder than it needs to be.

File > Scripts > Scripts Events Manager:

sem.png

P.S. You can also add a second step to the action, insert menu item the "button mode" option, then every time you open Photoshop it will automatically remove the default actions and set the panel to button mode (presuming that your actions are loaded, otherwise you would also need to have the action load your desired action set too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to be a d*** or something but calling script manager to get something like a clean action pallette is pretty ridiculous and not very user friendly. I stay with my case... why are actions required and/or forced ?

I'm the last person who wants to make things difficult, but maybe Adobe is ...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Partnion Studio

I am not an employee of Adobe, like you, I'm just a user of their software. Therefore I don't know why Adobe make various programming decisions. I doubt that you would get an answer, but you could ask your question here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/photoshop/5f5f2092785c1f1e6cc4086b

The obvious answer is that Adobe have designed their software to work this way, so work-arounds to the requirements of the software are needed if you wish to change a required way that the software is designed to work.

From the extensive testing that I have put in to workaround the simple answer your question (i.e. it is designed to work like this), I see two possibilities:

1) Setup the Script Events Manager to run an action or script that enforces your requirements on the software's requirements.

2) As previously mentioned, you could leave the action set in the required folder with the required name, but remove the default action set's content and re-populate the set with the actions that you require as default. With no documents open in Photoshop, you can set your actions panel to use button mode, which should then become the default. You should then get your actions loading by default and in button mode every time you open Photoshop. 

Both methods would likely need to be setup again when you install a new version of Photoshop. Yes, things may take a little extra work to setup, but that only has to happen "once", allowing you to move on and work as you wish rather than fighting against how the software has been designed.

I believe that I have provided two solid work-arounds so that Photoshop works the way that you wish it to, rather than as it has been designed. 

Please add likes and or correct answers to the various posts so that when others are searching for a resolution to their issue it will be obvious that a solution was found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I appreciate the detailed reply's but it is not that i'm new to Photoshop

If I delete something I asume that it is gone like the UI represents and how it always worked in the Actions pallette

I will give your link a try, maybe I can get some logic there

Likes are for Facebook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I appreciate the detailed reply's but it is not that i'm new to Photoshop

If I delete something I asume that it is gone like the UI represents and how it always worked in the Actions pallette

I will give your link a try, maybe I can get some logic there

Likes are for Facebook

By @Partnion Studio

I'm just the messenger. It is not about being "new" to Photoshop, it is about understanding and accepting that the software is designed to be a certain way and that no matter how much you don't like it, agree with it or assume that is should work like you wish, it is what it is – which is why I offered solutions rather than just telling you that it is designed this way and to suck it up and that nothing could be done. This is found in a hidden folder marked required after all.

You may or may not agree with likes to provide feedback to the community volunteers that post a reply, however, marking one or more answers as correct is important to others searching for an answer in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines