• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Differences in the way PS conducts certain operations

Enthusiast ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with the latest version of PS in Windows 10, processing very large files (e.g., 35+GB) on a very capable computer (e.g., 96GB RAM).  When I perform certain operations, like duplicating a layer from one .psb file into another or converting a smart object to layers, PS sometimes performs the operation almost instantaneously.  At other times, PS will cycle several times through a series of loading>preparing>scaling>preprocessing operations, often taking several minutes.  I can't identify any trigger that differentiates the instantaneous vs. the long-cycle operation.  Does anyone know if there is any way to circumvent these endless processing cycles?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

96GB RAM is quite something … but with 35GB files that is almost spent once two images are opened so the Scratch Disk/s will probably be a major factor. 

Does minimizing History States to 1 and disabling »Automatically Create First Snapshot« have a noticable effect? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply.  I know history states chew up scratch disks rapidly.  What puzzles me is the inconsistency.  I don't understand why, e.g., I can duplicate a layer almost instantaneously at one point but, next time I try it, it may take 4-5 minutes.  The difference is not attributable to the one layer being simple and the other complex (filters, etc.). Let me try disabling First Snapshot.  That seems like it might play a role.  Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines