• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program Error saving photoshop files to Google drive

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, whenever I make a change to a Photoshop file that is saved on Google Drive and then try to save those changes, I keep getting this error:

Could not save “(filename)” because of a program error.

We use Google Drive at my job to save and share files between coworkers and computers. It has never been an issue until now.

I either have to delete the original file and save again or save as something else which is annoying and when you're trying to save your work as you go. I don't have any problems saving over a file that is on my hard drive. It's only when saving over a file in Google Drive.

I'm using macOS Catalina (version 10.15.16) and the most current version of Photoshop CC. 

There has to be some way to fix this. Help please!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Once again, Google Drive is not supported in Photoshop. It may work, for a while, under some conditions, but it may just as easily break again. You have to save locally and then copy to your Google Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

I had this same problem until I found this thread. I downloaded the newest version of Google Drive, reinstalled, problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Thanks for the replies .. I did a Google Workspace update (only now avaible)  and the problem is solved. :heart_suit:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Update Google Workspace/Google Drive to correct this problem.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
60 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop only officially supports saving to a local drive. See link below for info on troubleshooting saves to a network:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a software update for my macOS Catalina and it seems to have solved the issue for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this isn't a "fix" but it has worked every time for me. Leave the photoshop file open. Exit Google Drive Stream. Reopen Google Drive Stream. Save file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. I have never had a problem with saving to google drive from Adobe Photoshop and never had an issue overwriting to files on the google drive. Now I've updated to Photoshop 2021 and now I get a program error. I can only save to my computer or external hard drive. But for the same reason, I save to Google Drive because of space and sharing. This is now a real inconvenience and I have updated to Catalina 10.15.7. If anyone could help with a solution that would be great! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try my fix above? Like I said, it's not ideal, but it works for me on mac with everything updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only solution I've found is to Save As a new file "Filename_1" then delete the previous version and rename back to "Filename", which is just rubbish and clunky workflow.

I've never had this issue in 10+ years ... the cynic in me thinks it's an intentional glitch push people to use Adobe's own cloud storage rather than Google...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you! It seems to work. Still frustrating though as this never happened before the update. Hope they fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here - programm error saving to Drive File Stream folder. macOS Big Sur 11.1 and PS 22.1.1. I've had program errors before and been able to fix them, yesterday out of the blue the issue shows up again. This time had to call Adobe support with no luck. Even with "Program Error Saving" as a known issue published to helpx.adobe.com in December. Tried their fixes and nothing.

Any new revelations are appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave
thanks for the link to the documentation and suggested troubleshooting. 
Unfortunately, the guidance offered to work on a 'local drive' won't solve the problem.

The problem/issue is occurring when saving to a local hard drive.... a folder which then happens to be plugged into other cloud-based syncing (e.g. gDrive). I admit I haven't tried the same routine with a dropbox or box syncing folder, and gave up on Adobe's cloud storage a long time ago for other weirdness.

How can this be escalated so Adobe fixes this asap/next release. Saving is fundamental. The workarounds are terrible and completely interferring with an otherwise positive user experience with Adobe. Personally, I'm starting to work with Figma and other applications where I can that utlizing PS anymore for simple digital visual design layout... and guiding my team to do as well... at least until this saving issue is fixed.

Thanks for your input and consideration.
/brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can raise bug reports/feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak to difficulties saving locally, though I did have a sort of breakthrough when using Google Drive. While it's not a permanent solution, it seems to be a workabe remedy. When getting the error, I keep Photoshop open and quit File Stream and re-launch it. It only takes a moment and seems to prevent the error from returning for a day or so. See my reply to Brynoss for version information. No clue if this can be replicated by other users or if it's a fluke, but it has kept me working at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue lately. I have never had a file become corrupted from storing it on drive, although Photoshop does crash often for a myriad of other dubious reasons. Could this be a way of steering people to use Adobe's Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on a Mac with Catalina.

Before I used Dropbox and didn't have this problem, but today I migrated to Google Drive recently and I came across the same problem.

Since Google Drive on the mac appears as an ejectable file, Photoshop may not recognize it as a local folder.

I have two other Mac's with Big Sur that are working perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a Google drive is not a local folder... even if you sync it to the local drive, its still not... a Google drive is a sync folder along with all other types of sync folder and the bottom line is storing your files there is asking for corupt files

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried to make "available offline" the file i want to save and seem to work. Hope this could be a solution for you as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have this bug fixed as well. It is driving me nuts haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, please fix this bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big Sur and big problems with Google Drive and Photoshop file saving.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the Drive available offline does resolve this for us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to us too with the Google Drive desktop application and our Google Workspace accounts.

It's a HUGE issue that never used to happen. It needs to get fixed, having to re-name the file. Rebooting Drive application doesn't seem to work. 😕

I don't know who needs to fix it... Adobe or Google but for the love of god please work it out as it's creating a very disruptive workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been using google drive / file stream with adobe creative suite for several years and across dozens of projects with no problem at all. It was working fine until the 2021 update and now it's completely broken! PLEASE FIX IT ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update Google Workspace/Google Drive to correct this problem.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you stream files, your My Drive files are stored in the cloud. Hard drive space is only used when you open files and make them available offline.

The huge advantage of streaming is eliminated by making files "Available Offline"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on cloud files with software that doesn't explicitly support that cloud service is a disaster waiting to happen. All the arguing about "its always worked" doesn't change that.

Best practice is to work on local copies, period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem start recently in both Photoshop and Xd. Quitting out of Google Drive from the menu bar and reopening fixed the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate