• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eye Dropper Tool Not Selecting color outside of Photoshop

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently purchased a new 2019 Macbook Pro with specs below.

macOS Catalina 10.15.3

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

I'm currently running Photoshop 21.1.1 and when I try to choose the eyedropper tool click and drag outside photoshop to choose a color from the web or anything else on my desktop photoshop isn't recognizing anything outside of photoshop. Anyone else having this issue? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

With Catalina, you'll have to give Photoshop permission to access the screen outside of the application. Go to System Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy, and click the Screen Recording section and make sure Photoshop is enabled:

2020-03-22_13-35-48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Register Photoshop in Security & Privacy / Screen Recording in System Preferences.
Are you also registered for Accessibility and Full Disk Access?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Catalina, you'll have to give Photoshop permission to access the screen outside of the application. Go to System Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy, and click the Screen Recording section and make sure Photoshop is enabled:

2020-03-22_13-35-48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that was it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the thought pattern on Catalina. I'm not so sure it shouldn't be renamed to Crapalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the solution! Thanks Michael J Hoffman! I'm still running into these Privacy settings all over the place. The problem is that it's not always apparent, and they don't always lead you to the exact category you need to fix. That said, I do appreciate the fact that they're trying to lock down privacy and security. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - doesn't work for me in Photoshop 22.4.2 and Mac OS 11.2.3 (Big Sur) on M1 Mac Mini. Was there a change. I noticed that I can no longer use the colour picker from a text tool (properties > chacater > color) either because it will only select colour in the text layer (which has no items) rather than the layers below it. Is there some ther option somewhere in PS that inhibits or changes this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1

Catalina 10.15.7 

I was able to do this with PS 2022 but I had to downgrade to PS2021 because some features were not working well (I guess due to my old processor) but now I don't see the way to add PS 2021 to the Screen Recording in Security and Privacy. Any advice?

Shown in picture: I was able to use the color dropper outside PS with PS2022, but I can't add PS 2011 to give permission to the app. 

minglessis_0-1658031271864.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

All versions of Photoshop are allowed by registering only one version.
However, in Illustrator, you need to register multiple versions.
If you don't need Photoshop 2022, uninstall it and Photoshop 2021 should appear in the list.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, in Illustrator, you need to register multiple versions.

I am not completely sure I understand what you mean. 

If you are trying to claim that one cannot have multiple versions of Photoshop installed on one computer that would be wrong. 

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 12.09.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had multiple versions of PS installed but when it comes to giving it permission to do the screen recording to be able to pick colors outside of PS, it seems that it doesn't let you give permission to more than 1 PS version. I had to uninstall PS2022 to be able to give permission to PS2021, which is the version that is working best with my old processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and not the color picker is not working outside PS2021......even if I gave it permission. Rebooted everything just in case and nothing. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never mind, it started working. Sorry for the multiple messages,  I tried to edit my previous one, but couldn't figure out how to do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@minglessis wrote:

I had multiple versions of PS installed but when it comes to giving it permission to do the screen recording to be able to pick colors outside of PS, it seems that it doesn't let you give permission to more than 1 PS version. I had to uninstall PS2022 to be able to give permission to PS2021, which is the version that is working best with my old processor.

Then I apologize; I had misunderstood @silk-m â€™s post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Michael, that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: The initial click is on the Photoshop Canvas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines