• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File name and extension highlight when saving on macOS 10.15 Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. After last updates (Osx Catalina and CC 2020), when the save window appear, the focus, highlite, is on all the file name and extension instead only the filename. I suspect the issue is related to Catalina, but I ask if anyone has noticed the same thing. My working speed is affected and I would like to know if anyone has a solution to ensure that only the file name is highlighted (in save and export).
Thank you

Schermata 2019-11-13 alle 20.38.45.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

I have no solution for the highlighting, but if you save the image the extension will be attached in the proper way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELLO?! ADOBE?! ANYONE FRICKN' THERE? FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so excited to download the newest Photoshop update today, hoping it meant the end of my Save As nightmare since upgrading to macOS Catalina. SO disappointed to discover the bug remains unfixed. I've only had Catalina for a week, but it launched over 10 months ago. Hard to imagine Adobe engineers have still not figured this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. File extension highlighted on both Save As and Save For Web's Save commands. 😡

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also noticed that copy and paste functions don't work in the "Save for Web" dialogue box in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure when it happened, but the copy and paste functions have been working in the "Save for Web" dialogue in photoshop for a while now.

Meanwhile, Premiere Pro v.15 is freezing constantly for me, and there doesn't seem to be any specific action that causes it. Seems completely random. I've been using Adobe products since the 90s and have NEVER had so many issues as I have in the past year.

Does anyone know if the "Save As" problems persist if you upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that all is normal in CC 2018 and CC 2019, just CC 2020 has this problem.

As discussed here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/file-name-and-extension-higlight-when-saving-...

"The workarounds that I have been using are to either change the Format pop-up to something else and then changing it back (like Photoshop to Large Photoshop Document then back to Photoshop) or to move the text prompt with right arrow once, then left arrow four times, then shift up arrow.   Both get you to where you have just the filename selected without the ".psd".  Neither is ideal, of course."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted to sign-in to the Photoshop Family site, but that doesn't work either. Adobe batting 1.000 here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have to sign up separately for that community, it is not part of the Adobe Forums and doesn't use your Adobe ID

Click on "sign up" and choose your options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, but the result was the same. Never let me set up a separate account. Simply took my email address and told me I was signed-in (I wasn't). 🤷🏻‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this was isolated to Adobe products, but I just did extensive testing in Apple native and third-party apps, and found the anomaly in several. I'm on 10.15.6. I will be submitting a report to Apple. I wasn't seeing it in any of the other apps I use on a regular basis for saving or renaming, so it didn't even occur to me that it might be an issue with a component of the OS itself. I so rarely use Firefox, especially for download or saving out images or other files, but sure enough, it happens for me in Firefox as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I last posted, just about all of my Adobe Creative Suite applications have this issue. But it could well be an Apple issue. I'll be following to see what you find out. Maddening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same thing too in a few other apps (like you, Firefox), however, it's predominently Adobe apps showing this file save anomoly. Curious if anyone testing the Big Sur beta is seeing the same behavior in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news with the last update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug still exists after most recent update (21.2.2).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug still exists with latest photoshop update, 21.2.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given this is occurring on some other non-Adobe apps, I'm inclined to think it's an introduced Apple bug in Catalina and maybe migrating to Big Sur beta. I'm going to file a bug report with Apple via Feedback Assistant app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@2stepbay, thanks for reporting this to Apple. A few people mentioned that it was an Apple bug and not an Adobe bug but I couldn't believe it... But I'm also not a programmer.

Hoepfully this gets resolved soon so we can all stop pulling out our hair and return to an efficient workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue on Big Sur (11.4) using: InDesign (16.2.1) "Save", "Save As"; Illustrator (25.3.1) "Save", "Save As"; Photoshop (22.4.2) "Save for Web", "Save a Copy",  "Save As". On another note... it would be helpful if they highlighted the "Replace" button on the warning pop-up instead of "Cancel" so I could just hit return to confirm replacement instead of needing to click on it with my mouse every single time. Or, [gasp] give me a check box so it remembers my choice! Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I hav the TRUE ANSWER, as this is should not be marked as resolved. 

I think you will find the issue you describe only appears in Photoshop >> Save for Web (Legacy)....

Seems Adobe have not updated this type of file export.

In all other cases:

1. Finder >> Preferences >> Advanced >> CHECKED: Show all file name extentions
  2. Photoshop >> [with open file] Save As (or Export As)
  3. Filetype retains original type (in this case .psd)
  4. Tap on file you wish to replace, or name file whatever you wish
  5. Select filetype in dropdown menu below and automatically the suffix changes to correct filetype. 

Tip: Replace "Save for Web (Legacy)"  with "Export As" in Photoshop File Export menu. 

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed this is driving me nuts as well, seem to be an issue with Catalina. So one slight workaround which may help. When the dialogue box apears 'arrow left' curser to left, 'option shift arrow right' to highlight to end of word or to '.' then type new name and save done. Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip - working perfectly! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez! I thought it was just me but this is annoying but I did try the sugesstion to overtype filename and it did add the extension in InDesign. Haven't tried the other apps yet. I'm using Catalina 10.15.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Big Sur and still having the highlight issues when saving, so it is killing my work flow also. AND . . . still having the issue of save as not overitten the file, but rather making another copy. SO, that issue is still not fixed after all this time. 
For the highlight issue, I found that if I hit the tab key three times after hitting save as psd,  the save as window with the file name highlights. Sometimes, it just randomly highights on it's own out of nowhere though. Very strange and seems like it should be a very easy fix for Adobe. Does Adobe even review these comments and resolve these issues? I've never seen an issue/bug posted that was fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to say thanks for this solution.  It really helped me.  Mine wasn't highlighting at all.  This will save me lots of time.  Thank you sgjr712.  Also, Adobe, you do need to fix this.  Also, the huge issue with the fact that I can no longer see text highlighted while working in Photoshop?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why was this answer deemed "correct"? it does not address the OP problem. I just upgraded to Big Sur and now have this problem.

Very annoying workflow interruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines