Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Freeze when using pen tool

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 
I'm having issues with photoshop after using the pen tool. About 4-5 click points in photoshop freezes, and the pen tool reverts to an inactive cursor that does nothing. The strange thing is that PS doesn't crash, so no crash report is generated. It doesn't even come up as "(Not Responding)" when I go to force quit PS.

I've recently upgraded to an iMac Pro and I'm running a BenQ SW2700 Display (2k) as the second monitor with the Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics Card, so I don't think it's a GPU problem, though I could be wrong.

I've recorded my screen as it happens in the attached clip.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021
Looks like the last wacom driver solved th problem... I enabled the flick
panning and zoom animation and it looks like its not freezing

Can you check this out?

*Wendell Favachö*

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

wacom 6.3.44-3 is working atleast fow windows - two day with no problem here

I was in Driver 6.3.44-1 before

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue on the iMac (Photoshop 21.2.1), any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, unfortunatly no fix as yet. It still happens from time to time, but at the moment not as frequent.
I've recieved ZERO help from Adobe BTW. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue. Same specs. Any fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly no fix as yet. It still happens from time to time, but at the moment not as frequent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I can still save the file, or if i have other files open i can still continue to work on those, but the one that freezes just won't work. Very annonying when you spend alot of time clipping photos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mlomeli33, unfortunatly no fix as yet. It still happens from time to time, but at the moment not as frequent.
It's very frustrating, please keep me in the loop if you find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is Ps updated to 21.2.3?

Did you try to reset the pen tool (right-click on its icon on the option bar) or to reset Photoshop's preferences by holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Pc) Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) as you click on Photoshop's icon to start it up.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

If you do have access to the menu Edit>Preferences (Pc) or Photoshop>Preferences (Mac), it is possible to reset them from the General submenu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PECourtejoie

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am on 21.2.3 and I have already tried resetting the preferences to no avail.
I'll give your other suggestion a go too and post back with the results.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This glitch is really anoying... what gives PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, Test your bloody software before to make it available Adobe! We dont have time to deal with this crap with all your applications! iMac (Photoshop 21.2.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really starting to cost me money and time. Adobe I would love a reponse please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. Adobe, please provide a solution. At this point the issue is costing my company significant time and money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone found a fix yet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here!

I am facing this problem for a long time, I have purchased a new machine because I thought that the problem had to do with hardware, but unfortunately the same problem persist with the new machine too.

I have watched the movie and is exactly what is happening, but it is not only with the pen tool it happens with the healing brush, clone tool. etc, if freezes only the working document, photoshop do not crash only the document. the image freezes when It is moved on the screen.  

I have tried all kind of alleged solutions, Reset tool, Remove plugins, reset photoshop etc, even a new laptop

It is really a frustrating problem!!

Adobe,  Please we do need a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it might be a problem with the wacom tablet, but after doing some digging, I couldnt find anything concerning this issue on any wacom threads. I think it's definately a PS issue, I wish Adobe could respond to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Les,

It's not a problem just with the Wacom Tablet, I have a Tablet at work using a brand new Apple Mac Mini with M1 chip and I have an old iMac at home with just a mouse.

It happens on both machines. Very Frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Happening to me too.  Can't figure out how to make it stop.  Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in windows after new update can anyone help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the issue even after resetting preferences. Still nothing on that fix? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea still having this happen consistently. Adobe gave me the same directions to reset prefs and it didn't help. It happens on two machines I work on. I baffled that a bug like this would exist. One thing I noticed is the freeze seems to happen when I'm using the pen tool in conjunction with the hand tool. So maybe it's a hand tool thing...

Sick of quitting and restarting photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that too! If i zoom too far in to pen and then move it freezes. My job is very photoshop heavy so its becoming i real annoyance having to save a photoshop file everytime so i dont have to start again! It's been like this for months, cannot understand why it hasnt been resolved. And as you said, resetting does absolutely nothing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i'm also zoomed far in when the freeze happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the same, when I'm moving with the had tool, it freezes up.

It's so annoying! 

Can I ask you all what Graphic Card you are all running?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a GPU issue with AMD graphic cards because I dont have this problem on my home desktop which is running an nVidia drive. 

ADOBE! Please give us some support on this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine is Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 580X  Type: GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines