• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate Normal Map Crashes Photoshop 22.3

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running PS 22.3 on MacOS Catalina with 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. When using a standard RGB 8/bit image to generate a normal map from the Filter --> 3D, PS continues to crash.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded to the release 22.0.4 and started having the sme issue with this very simple task... (the program crashes when trying to create a normal map from a bitmap); is there any suggestion to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.0.4 or 22.4?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.4.0* (my mistake)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Try this :

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, however, I'm afraid this didn't work either; I tried with the same image (2048x2048px), I got the crash a couple of times and got the same crash report; giving it a try with a diferent image (much simpler and smaller one 1600x1600px), and the program shut down entiredly without any message... I'm a bit confussed now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What GPU are you using?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!, I'm using an Nvidia Geforce GTX 980, witn an intel Core i7 7700K CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Julio5C65 , are you restarting Photoshop after toggling that Enhanced preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tt appears that was thye problem; instead of restarting the app before checking if it worked, it just crashed while I tried and I just kept on trying again and again with no luck... however, this morning I just restarted before another attempt and it seams to work just fine.

Many thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having this issue today as well and was only able to restore the functionality by also changing the Performance > Use Graphics Processor/Advanced setting/Drawing Mode : Normal

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines