• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU acceleration greyed out (Ryzen 7 4800U, Vega 8)

New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a ThinkPad E14 Gen 2, with the Ryzen 7 4800U and integrated Vega 8 graphics.

The option for using GPU acceleration is greyed out. I looked on the internet how to fix it, but nothing so far has worked (reinstalling and updating drivers, enabling the old GPU support, removing the sniffer.exe file, etc.)

Is it the lack of VRAM which causes this problem, as Vega 8 has 512mb of video memory? I think that when the video memory fills, the GPU can also use the system memory. My laptop has 16gb of it, which I think is plenty enough for Photoshop.

I remember using Photoshop on an Intel HD 620 with hardware acceleration enabled. In my understanding Vega 8 is more powerful than HD 620, so I'm a bit confused why this isn't working.

Could it be that Photoshop just lacks the support for integrated AMD graphics?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Hi

If you're using Photoshop version 22.3.1, the system requirements have changed relating to the GPU

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Photoshop now requires a minimum of 2GB of VRam

Also a lot of people are having issues relating to GPU detection in version 22.3.1, rolling back to version 22.3 seems to resolve the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you're using Photoshop version 22.3.1, the system requirements have changed relating to the GPU

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Photoshop now requires a minimum of 2GB of VRam

Also a lot of people are having issues relating to GPU detection in version 22.3.1, rolling back to version 22.3 seems to resolve the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, I'm reverting to the last version right now.

Does this mean I'm now stuck with the 22.3 verison?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to page 3 on this thread Adobe are working on a fix, PS can't detect GPU

That been said your GPU is still well below the current system requirements, so the fix may or may not help in your situation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I made the decision to splash out on renting Photoshop 2021, I thought I had arrived. There can be no doubt it is the market leader. But it is very much a case of “Excellent product, pity about the lousy Customer Care & Support.”

I have just wasted hours of my life trying to solve why I can no longer use the ‘Liquify’ screen. This was not difficult to solve, it was due to the GPU was not turned on in ‘Preferences’. However, I could not turn it on because the box was greyed out. I played with ‘Devices’ and checked ‘Drivers’ and then by shear chance, I came across this article which is buried amongst 116,775 conversations. So, I wound back to Version 23.3 and whoopee it solved the problem.

Now, like many others, I am trying to work out whether I am paying my rent for a version which will soon become outdated and from which I cannot move on.

Other problems I experience which seem to be common to a large number of customers: -

1. Ludicrously slow boot-up times for Photoshop and Creative Cloud only to be greeted incessantly with “We are working on it.”
  2. Constantly being required to sign-in at the beginning of each session.

It is sad that Adobe has joined the growing ranks of Ivory Tower Companies, which have decided to replace Customer Care & Support with total dependency on ‘Communities’. It is equally sad; they do not heed or give any credence to the issues raised within the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I eventually found a phone number for Adobe. The representative was very helpful. He told me 'There is a known fault with Photoshop Version 24.4.1. Stay with Version 22.3 until Version 25 is issued.'

To avoid constantly logging in I was informed that I should open each programme, go to the 'Help' prompt and close each one manually. Then go to Creative Cloud and open each programme. This should cure the problem and allow normal closure and opening of each programme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines