• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient on 3d extrusion

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm trying to get a gradient on my 3d model but it wont map onto the 3d model. Do i have something turned off? Also, how do I map layers? Attached are photos, I'd appreciate any help.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.54.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.54.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.58.07 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our @davescm is your best bet for an answer to this.  He'll be tagged and hopefully be along later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It is not clear exactly which of these two you are trying to do:

1. You want the gradient on the models material surface, which you can then light and render. For this, in the 3D panel, choose the material and in Properties click on the small folder icon next to "Base Color" and choose "Edit Texture". A PSB document will open containing the flattened surface texture. You can add your gradient to that texture as a new layer.

When done, close and Save the PSB (not Save As just Save) and the 3D view will update.

2. You already have a rendered layer and just want the gradient over the rendered area. In this case just add a gradient layer, with a mask in the shape of  rendered object. (If your render is against transparency i.e. only the object is rendered with the rest transparent, you could add your gradient as a layer style BUT any soft shadows in the "transparent" area will also take on the gradient and become visible).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I tried the options you gave, but I still wasn't able to do what I've been trying to do. Here are pics from the Creatnprocess tutorial on youtube I am following. This is where the problem occurs. The video is called 3D Abstract Design in Adobe Photoshop | 3d Extrusion, Gradient Map ,Ellipse tool | Graphic Design

IMG_0463.PNG

IMG_0464.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your screenshots it looks like he/she has used a gradient map adjustment layer to turn the rendered image into a grayscale then added a gradient overlay in layer styles to that gradient map in order to add further color. Did you do the same? Please show your layers panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have done the same. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 5.19.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the layer style - click on Gradient Overlay and in the Gradient overlay settings, set the Blend Mode to "Overlay"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is taking a while but I really appreciate your help. I gave it a try and this is what I got.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.15.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the video, his gradient is white at the very left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very late here now in the UK. I'll pick this up again in the morning if you've not solved it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still havent solved it but no worries, get back to me when you can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to your PSD file and I'll take a look at it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to figure out how to send you a link but here's a picture. I also can invite you into the document if that would make taking a look at it easier.

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 9.29.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Isaak5EEF wrote:

I wasn't able to figure out how to send you a link

You can put the psd in a file sharing service such as Creative Cloud, Dropbox, Box, etc., then create a link from that application.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e helped me out with sending a link. Here it is.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/5277f00d-aaf4-4a4b-73a1-4182c0bcd195 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That link is to an empty PDSC document :

davescm_0-1625688015528.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what I keep getting. Attached is a link to a video showing me doing it. Could this be what the problem is?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vgrh-yoSgzNqvxmPAmeUJM3ytO76dZKr/view?usp=sharing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure whether that is a GPU glitch or just the UV overlays on the twisted section. Are you able to save the PSD file and use dropbox or similar?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the same file I showed you earlier with the creative cloud link. When I try and open the file again, it appears as an empty document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like that file may have been corrupted on saving to the cloud. On large files, it can sometimes take a while to sync and if you disconnect before then, it should be able to handle it, but your experience shows in this case, the saved PSDC has no content.

Are you able to recreate your file , save it locally and then put a copy into the Creative Cloud Files folder on your PC. That will sync a copy to the cloud as a simple PSD file following which I can show you how to share a link to it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I save it and try to open it up again, it comes up as a blank psb file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines