Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

green screen unless I deactivate graphics processor in preferences\performance

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Everything was working fine, than all of a sudden any project I open with photoshop shows a green screen, any file, any project, impossible to work.

I read on another post to deactivare graphics processor in preferences\performance. Did that and now works fine... but I feel I am loosing something without the use of graphics processor... anyone knows why this is happening? What should I do?

I am using MAC OS BIG SUR 11.3.1 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), graphic card: 

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

Thank you
Jacopo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

I just uninstalled photohop and opted to remove any preferences, then reinstalled. That seems to have done the trick for me. Maybe give that a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop are you running? Have you upgraded to 22.4.1 that addresses graphic card issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI — I use a 2011 Mac Pro with a Sapphire Nitro Radeon 580 RX graphics card (a Metal-capable GPU). The latest version of Photoshop that will open on my computer is v22.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your computer is too old to run the latest PS builds. Specifically your graphics card may not meet the minimum requirements to run Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sapphire Nitro 580 RX card meets the specified requirements on that page. It has Metal support and the

Average Ops/Sec exceeds 2,000 by almost double. Why do you say it's too old?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Mac supported models for Big Sur.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you upgraded your graphics card from the original that came with your 2011 Mac Pro. I'm not sure how that may affect PS recognizing your card with the latest version. Technically Big Sur shouldn't even run on your computer model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say that I am using Big Sur. You might be confusing my post with the original post. I added my comment because I'm also experiencing Photoshop stalling out. My 2011 Mac Pro is running Mojave with a Metal-capable card. This meets the specified system requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right - sorry Alek my bad.

For resetting the prefs, there is an easier way to try - you can hold down Shift+Control+Opt+Cmd when you launch before the splash screen appears. It will ask if you want to reset prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, and thanks for the shortcut! I will give this a try when I can and report back. I'm not on the system at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin, 

thank you for your time. I have installed Photoshop 22.4.1 and I suspected the problem had to do with the installation process, so I have tried to uninstall and install it again, but nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well 22.4.1 or one of the more recent updates appears to be the culprit for Photoshop no longer supporting HDR!  If you deactivate HDR within your device's display settings, you should see a temporary "fix" until Photoshop corrects their faux pas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jacopot13417458 wrote:

I read on another post to deactivare graphics processor in preferences\performance. Did that and now works fine... but I feel I am loosing something without the use of graphics processor... anyone knows why this is happening? What should I do?

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feed back. I will look into it and let you know. Every other software is working fine, computer is working absolutely fine on heavy tasks like Davinci rendering, but maybe, will try to lookinto GPU.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found solution for my problem.
I have updated OS software to 11.4 BIG SUR and now everything works fine.
Thank you!
🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it's not possible to open the Preferences window when the application stalls on launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alek_V wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not possible to open the Preferences window when the application stalls on launch.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

• Quit Photoshop.

• Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.

macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note:

The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.

• Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That tells me how to reset the preferences manually. I might try and see if reset prefs will work, but the suggestion made above involved making a change to the preferences, not resetting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog Its a Mac so it's directly tied to the OS updates. No separate drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This literally just happened to me to. I'm updating my OS now as I type this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so sorry... I tohught it was working after updating MACOS, but it was a mistake... it was working only as I still had deactivated the graphics processor. With graphic processor on is still not working and showing green screen.
I guess I will have to keep working with graphic processor of until there is a better update on photoshop or mac os... or until I buy a new computer 😞

Nothing else I tried seams to make it work with graphic processor activated.

If you find a better solution please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the issue for me too. The OS update did not solve the issue, but turning off the graphic processor did do the trick for me as well. My Imac is only one year old. Not sure what is going on, my photoshop worked just fine yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same, same... I think it has to do with photoshop update... hopefully a new update will sove the issue when they release it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just uninstalled photohop and opted to remove any preferences, then reinstalled. That seems to have done the trick for me. Maybe give that a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing... will try that now (even though I hate to rearrange all preferences and actions aferwords) 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines