• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Healing Brush, layers, and that red circle

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watched on youtube. Set up the layers like the vid said. I think he said alt click. Did that. Moved the cursor, that looked nothing like the vid I watched. It was a red circle that you could change the circumfrence. And as you move it, just a line circle. Right clicked and a box came up about size opacity etc. So I left clicked and got a message, "Alt click to define a source point to repair the damage. Now, I thought I just did that. Tried it again about 10 times. Nothing. Copied the vid I saw to the letter. Checked out these forums. No clue to what is going wrong.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I got it on "Current and Below", too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and I reset the tool it too. Like here has said

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You view some video on the web and set up a document that liked document in the video, You do not know what the vid said you think he said Alt click. So you Alt+Clicked somewhere? When you moved the cursor what you saw look nothing like the video.  So you either did not follow the video or you have a issue on you machine or the video is a fake or foe some other application. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack,

I also followed the software instructions. Then I confirmed with the vid. I put on everything in that post I could think of I did. There is plenty of detail of what I did and saw. Would have been happy for someone to read and comment on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can we you have not identify the video your used of the steps you performed or even shown any screen captures. We can not see the dark side of the moon.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ADGOFNzi4&t=221s

The detail is in my post. Why do you want the video? You have not addressed anything I posted.

I didn't post this looking for an argument, or a critique on a video. I realize it works on the video.

Also, for anyone interested, I did do what the vid said on layers. For anyone interested a target shaped icon did not appear for me, just the "Alt click to define a source point to repair the damage."

Course Page: https://www.retouchingninja.com Portfolio: https://www.marcinmikus.com Color Profiles I use in my work: https://www.marcinmikus.com/shop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gee now we know you may have been using the  healing bush.   When you ask a question you should post pertinent information. You may get some helpful replies.    I did address what you wrote.  You posted no information about what you were doing what video you were following or where in the video you were having a problem, If the Target icon cursor did not appear when you pressed Alt you most likely have the Spot healing brush as the current tool not the healing brush. Or there was nothing in the layer you were trying to sample from. What tools options did you set in the tool option bar? 

Information like the cursor did not change to a target is pertinent.... A screen capture of whe you were doing would havs been very helpful also.  Provide the information you know about your problem, Video tutorial cover a lot and  there are many steps. Photoshop uses Alt+click for many things not just source sampling.  The more information you supply the more likely it is that you will get the reply that will solve you problem.  

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMac,

thanks for your reply. "Healing brush" is in the heading. Not "Spot healing brush". So you would have been right to think I was talking about Healing brush. 

The tool I had was the healing brush. The spot healing brush works for me.

Here is a quote from my very first post: "Set up the layers like the vid said. I think he said alt click. Did that. Moved the cursor, that looked nothing like the vid I watched. It was a red circle that you could change the circumfrence.  And as you move it,  just a line circle. Right clicked and a box came up about size opacity etc.  "  also 

Did you comment on that? I must have missed it. Sorry.

Here is another from my first post: "So I left clicked and got a message, "Alt click to define a source point to repair the damage." Now, I thought I just did that. Tried it again about 10 times. Nothing.

Did you comment on that? Even to ask for a fuller explanation? Once again, sorry if I missed your reply.

As I said before, I also followed (to the best of my ability) the instructions that goes with the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?

First pic is setting up for healing brush. Not Clone. Not Spot Healing Brush.

Second pic alt and right click

Third pic is if I right click after, without alt.

Fourth pic is if I left click without alt (after I've already alt+right clicked.)

I do not get the "target" icon click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg

Look Good

Looks Bad2.jpg

Looks Bad

What you see is the Brush Preview  you get when the Brush tool is active and you hover you pen above a tablet and Alt+click or Mouse Alt+Right Click you cans change the Brush Size and Hardness. As being displayed in the preview diameter, hardness and opacity by moving the pen or mouse. 

Try resetting your Photoshop Preferences. 

3.jpgAgain it look like a brush type tool is active and you right clicked to open the dialog to change the brush size and  hardness.

4.jpg

The normal message you get when you use the healing brush whet you have  not set a sample point.

If you use a mouse Alt+Right Click not a  Alt+Left Click the preview may be correct .

I did address what you wrote I stated I needed more information so I could understand exactly what you were doing.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the procedure is to setup a clone source point, you set that up with an ALT+left click, and according to your explanations, you did not do that:

What you show in the image 2 is an ALT+Right click, where you can adjust the size of the tool, and its hardness.

If you right-click without alt, like in 3, you can change some options, indeed, in a window, instead of directly on the image.

Image 4 tells you that you did not do an ALT+Left click to give a starting point to your healing. Press alt first to see the cursor change to a crosshair.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/retouching-repairing-images.html

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. My third post here says I have reset photoshop. Did that early on before I came on here. Just reset again. Makes no difference.

I should have explained I have alt-left mouse clicked, and alt-right mouse clicked. Just to see what happens, becasue it just wasn't working. Before I came on here. The left felt like the most useless, so I left it off in my description. To be precise so there is no misunderstanding, I put the cursor over a bit of the pic, press alt, keep it down - then left click mouse, and then release. If I don't release I can move a hollow circle around (not a target icon), and it does nothing. As soon as I release, the little circle with the bar icon comes on.

The result is in the pics below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a left hand mouse the left and right buttons reverse left is right  and right is left.  Your Red preview is  normals Alt+Right Click operation when a brush tool is the current tool.  The Healing Brush is a brush type tool.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I posted first pic when I right clicked because when I first did it left click, it did nothing! At least I got a red spot with right click. lol

I shouldn't say "nothing". When I did "Alt-left click", the cursor icon turns into white/black arrow, when I release the alt and left click the touchup box went off and the cursor turns to a small circle with a diagonal meaning it stopped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the reset tool, the option bar setting is back to current layer only, FYI.

Can you try to

1) make sure there is no selection (CTRL+D)

2) target the background layer

3) Alt+click to see how the tool behaves.

Then, also try the clone stamp tool, it also uses an alt+click.

Also, how did you reset the preferences? did you receive a confirmation?

EDIT: Your transparent layer has locked transparency! (did not happen in the first 4 images). It should not prevent you to sample (you should get the sampler) but there will not be any healing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, when I alt-left click, I get those little black/and white cursor arrows diagonal arrows, not the target icon I see on the video or the instruction. Hard to show those cursors because they go invisible when I press PrtScr

I reset the tool like you said. Also reset the preferences and restarted the program, like it said.

Yes, I changed it back to curent layer and below.

And I changed it back to unlocked.

It just changes up itself, as you can see. Every time I try to use the tool.

It just turns off (for want of a better phrase) the touchup layer once I try run the tool. Sometime I forget to turn it back on. Makes no difference.

Clone Stamp behaves the exact same way.

Also, when I release the alt and keep down the left mouse button and move the mouse, the whole pic moves like a new layer with the pic behind it. When I lift the left button and press again, I get that message.  "Alt click to define a source point to repair the damage."

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm surprised nobody has picked up whtat I'm doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When "everything moves with the pic behind it", is is usually the clipped button in the Clone source panel that is unchecked, but your screenshot shows that it is active.

Try also to run ONLY photoshop, some third party software is know to steal shortcuts. then restart them until you find the offending one.

Also, are you running Ps 22.4.2? try to update it in the CC application if you are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your first image, you speak of left click and adjust size, so that must be the problem, you should not get the resize.

(you did not invert the left and right mouse buttons, are you using a tablet?)

On your second image, you do not have any layer targeted, hence the forbidden sign.

I would try to 1) reset the tool from a right-click on its icon in the option bar.

2) take a snapshot of the Clone source panel showing (the panel you get when you click the icon after the brush size in the option bar)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset tool. No difference. Maybe this pic will tell you something.

I'm using a Windows 10 Dell laptop. Pretty standard. Its right click as far as I know. When I right click generally, I get a window box and a menu with properties, save as, print, view page source, etc. That is what generally know as "right click".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PECourteJoie,

also when I just press alt by itself and hold it down, it shows a black/white arrow head for the icon, not a target icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Alt alone the cursor can change to different cursors depending on the current tool.  With the Healing brush the cursor should change to the target cursor.  With the move tool current to a double arrow heads black and white, with the brush tool current  to an eyedropper.  The Alt Key is known as a modifier key.  What it modifies depends the cursor may not change but a transform will be from the center not the bounding box.  Alt has many usages. It sound like you had the Move tool current.

When you use Photoshop for sone time you will notice thing like the and it will help for you kown what you should see and if you see somethinl else you check what you are doing is what you want to do.

It takes time to know Photoshop well you will never know all there is to Photoshop. For you have no need for some of its features for what you do with Photoshop so you never uset many of Photoshop features.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines