• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEIF / .HEIC File Support in Photoshop [2017]

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when we will be seeing support in Photoshop to handle Apple's new iOS format for pictures? The HEIF, specifically the .heic image format?

Thank you in advance,

~Scott

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 120 Replies 120
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty frustrating for those of us paying a premium for a  professional imaging product that is falling behind Adobes consumer products that already support this image format, see Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please if you want to give Adobe your feedback use Adobe feedback site.  Not this Users forum its not the right place for your feedback. Here is the link to the correct place for your feedback Photoshop Family Customer Community. 

User here can not see your Adobe orders or history. If you want to cancel here a link for you. How to cancel your Adobe Creative Cloud plan or membership

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok JJMack, I catch the Adobe response and censure, And also I can see the Adobe solution: Invitation link to leave the ship... astonishing.

Meanwhile, if you are an Adobe user and you need like me, convert heic to jpg (In two years Adobe hasn't been able to solve and they hasn't got any solution for her users),

it's easy, fast and free!. The solution:

iMazing HEIC Converter.

(I don't know if I can put links to other apps here)

Hope help to the Adobe users.

Thanks in advance and best wishes to all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In case you missed it JJMack, like me and other users on this forum, does not work for Adobe. Whilst we try and help people on the forums, our responses are not Adobe's response.

One of the links he gave you is to the feedback forum which is a place where Adobe staff would see your comments.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe that if you used the correct site to give Adobe your feedback that Adobe would give you any response. You are not dealing with Adobe on this User forum site.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to express my best apologies if I'm confused or wrong ... I have no problem in recognizing when I'm wrong, believe me ... but

Maybe my mistake or misunderstanding is because in my browser window above, I see the Adobe logo ... and because Adobe employees are responding in this thread of the forum and talking to all of us, including you moderators, who have censored me my answer to Adobe and your response was show me the exit way... perhaps it's very heavy and wrong, do you think?

Is this what I wrote true? (see page 1 of this thread of the forum)

And yes, JJMack. you can believe and see there as Adobe employees (SG ... Staff > Steve) are responding to users in this this forum (Jymnazium) and saying that the HEIC license is too expensive ...

I still being confused?

Sorry if my answer is not written in the right place (I already did it in the correct forum link, thanks) but it is not true that Adobe does not answer here, because Adobe, here, read the response of the users and answer them, as you can check it

Have a nice day and best wishes to all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does fund this site they set it up soe there users can help each other out and Adobe employee stop by once in a while to see what is going ob and help some times.  So in that respect this is an Adobe web site but it not actually Adobe support and Adobe has some  of the users here moderate the different product forums and also give some user Tags like ACP and MVP  and also levels.   Users that provide  helpful replies are given points and as point accumulate your level is bosted.  Adobe employees will have STAFF tag so users will know when they are dealing with Adobe employees. So you can say the site is related to Adobe support but is not officially Adobe support.     Adobe has several support channels and customer service to help mostly with Installation Problems.    For Photoshop related Products Adobe set up a Special Support site Photoshop Family Customer Community IMO Adobe support should be better than it is so I like to encourage Users here to use Adobe feedback site and voice this. Adobe does acknowledge some thing as problems and mark some problems as in progress on that web site. 

IMO Adobe need better management to fix problems in support and code development.  Too many bugs are released and some are never fixed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sincerely, THANK YOU for your patience and explanations...

Sorry for messing up this threads forum, and I'm sorry for the author's thread...

We will write other solutions to convert HEIC to jpg, psd or other format through other applications, meanwhile, wait for Adobe to solve it. (two years later...)

IMO Adobe tells us that the HEIC license is too expensive, but perhaps Adobe is not interested in this format HEIC keep walking, because they have other interests...

(remember when Adobe Flash was the king on www and Apple said that Flash would not run in their devices ??? ... What was the response from Adobe ?? maybe Adobe did not learn the lesson yet ...)

Meanwhile, users are in the midst of a war of giant companies (Adobe, Apple, mpeg group ...) ... and their interests ...

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that there was HEIC support added to Photoshop CC 2018, plus Lightroom and Camera Raw. Am I understanding this wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My understanding is that it works for Mac but not on Windows. (I can only test here on Windows 10)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pafer,

These Forums do provide support for Adobe products, but it is mostly user-to-user support... Adobe Staff do read and post here to help out when they can, but it is more of an informal support mechanism.

By contrast, the feedback.photoshop.com site posted above officially registers and logs every item of customer feedback... Adobe Staff read and follow all of those. You can track and comment on these over time, as well as vote on particular issues or suggestions which are important to you.

This mechanism (as well as UserVoice, which is used for some other CC apps) is where all submissions from this portal go:

Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

"We normally do not send personal replies to feature requests or bug reports. We do, however, read each and every message. We use the information to improve our products and services. Your comments, suggestions, and ideas for improvements are very important to us. We appreciate you taking the time to send us this information."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One place to add your feedback through the right channel for Adobe engineers would be here:

Photoshop: HEIC Support | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page HEIC and HEVC media files support in Lightroom and Camera Raw  states that support for Lightroom is available in both Mac 10.13 and Windows 10. Camera Raw is ominously silent for the case of Windows (listed specifically for Mac). No mention of Photoshop, but other pages refer to support being added in Photoshop CC 2018, but hard info seems hard to find. However New and enhanced features | 2018 releases of Photoshop CC ​ says: "Photoshop now supports Apple's High Efficiency Image Format (HEIF). Photoshop can read depth maps in HEIF image files created by iPhone 7 Plus and later devices into a channel. You can then create a depth-of-field effect in the image using Filter > Blur > Lens Blur." There are always people who want these changes fitted back to CS6 or older, and yes, I'd like a flying car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I tested a HEIC file  with Windows 10 (v1809) Photoshop 20.0.4 and ACR 11.2.0.135. It does not work here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for your responses.

IMO last version of Adobe PSD recognizes image format HEIC on Mac because somehow PSD use the Mac OS to traduce or read the language code HEIC (Only in the last OS version Mojave), but in windows, how windows 10 do not recognize HEIC format (or Adobe can not read this language code HEIC trough windows), PSD can not read this files format on windows platforms.

I have an old MacPro with OS 10.11.6 and can not read or view HEIC image formats (and I can not install the latest PSD version for the same reason)... thinking and waiting to upgrade my Mac Pro, but today this is not a good idea, before Apple upgrade this year the new Mac Pro models

Regards and best wishes

PAFER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) install CopyTrans for Windows

2) open HEIC file using Windows Photo Viewer (now automatic with double-click on HEIC file)

3) print to AdobePDF printer

4) open in Acrobat (automatic)

5) save as .jpg file

6) open .jpg in almost anything

Totally, completely flaming unnecessarily complicated, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After nearly two years of not supporting HEIC (on PC) file format, it is pretty obvious that this is not a priority to Adobe... I was really hoping this would have been improved in one of the updates since Jan 2018... (sigh)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  This is very disappointing.  I have been using PS Elements for more than a decade and lack of HEIC support is what is on the verge of having me ditch the product.  This is a standard format that has been out for years.  I can open the files with both native Windows and OSX applications.  Google Photos supports it.  Given this has been the native format for iOS photos for several years it seems like Adobe is looking to abandon Apple customers.  This has been going unanswered for too long.  Adobe, when will you support HEIC fully in the product line?  Either give a date or say you don't plan to.  You owe it to a customer base that has been loyal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe its another reason to say goodby to Adobe... It's a pity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is 2020 now and still no support.... subscription money is easy money i guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a sad sad joke......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I do not understand, my photoshop 2020 is perfectly handling my HEIC files...

What is this all about?

thanks

Carlo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i guess you have a special version just made for you. 😉

read the thread it´s all explained and if you don´t get it from reading the thread then nobody can help you. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that´s all i get when trying to open heic/heif files:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old topic, I'm still using CC 2019 (20.0.6) and HEIF is supported for open, not save in both Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw. Perhaps resetting prefs or reinstalling may help if you are on this version or later (I'm not sure what version support was introduced).

heic.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines