• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! Looking to Apply Photoshop Effects on images via a REMOTE workstation - Is this possible?

Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Might Sound Far Fetched. But I hope someone here knows...

Short Question: 

Is it possible to apply a Photoshop effect on an image via a remote workstation? 

Longer Explanation / Hypothetical: 

Let's say I wanted to take Image.JPG and apply a Threshold filter on it. I don't have PS on my computer, so instead, I would upload it to a Dropbox folder that is shared on a remote workstation that has PS installed on it. I would then use Apple Automator to watch the Dropbox folder, open Photoshop, and run an action to apply the Threshold filter and save it back on the Dropbox where I have access to it remotely. 

A real-life example: 

When you upload a file to a site like [removed by moderator]. It auto applies your image to a bunch of mockups, all via the Interwebs. I'm dreaming of a system like this. Where I can have a team of people, who don't know PS to be able to upload any given image and apply specific PS effects / actions by only clicking a button. 

What I know / What I don't:

I have an understanding of how scripting works, but not at all very much practice. I know how to set up application Automation in Apple Automator, but I imagine I would need the help of a more powerful javascript or something to make this work perfectly. I'm usually good a tinkering to figure stuff out, but this one seems daunting. 

I also understand I would need a dedicated workstation with PS installed, that is fine. 

Anyone out there do/know of anything like this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AXXXXXXXXX wrote:

I'm dreaming of a system like this. Where I can have a team of people, who don't know PS to be able to upload any given image and apply specific PS effects / actions by only clicking a button. 

What you are asking for would break your licensing agreement. We cannot assist.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious how this would break the licensing agreement?

Let's say my team / organization has enterprise-level CC where everyone with the @organization.(com) email has access to the Creative Cloud. Not everyone has the knowledge capacity to execute even simple tasks, so this would help mitigate that issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, 

Forget the team of people. Let's say I wanted to do be able to remotely automate tasks for myself.

I know CC allows for PS to be installed on multiple machines as long as PS is only working on one. *

*Source: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-apps-number-of-computers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Were they still making remote-access apps? I distinctly remember there being one (several?) for mobile devices but haven't even touched them in ages. You could set up something that way *but* you'd have to deal with any lag and deal with the UI of said remote-access app.

Also, heed what jane said: Even if you have enterprise, no one else but you (other than a trusted administrator) should be touching your machine. I say this not only from a legal perspective but also a practical, secure perspective.

I could have sworn I remember hearing there was going to be a version of Photoshop that ran in the cloud, on Chromebook, if I recall, but that ended...I think. I'm not sure; I don't use a Chromebook.  xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines