• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I colorize a black and white photo to a specific colour?

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At present I'm trying to colourized the following product for our company website:

S752GY.jpg

I'm trying to colorize the product to the following blue colour:

S750-BL.jpg

I am very new to Photoshop and I'm learning a lot.  I've tried a fair few things and read a few articles.  So I've tried things like the Raw Camera, the Neural Filter,  multiple adjustment and clicked colorize and finally added a solid colour layer and tried to match the colour using that.  The best I have managed is:

working-blue.png

Yes, I know it's missing it's feet and the step pads but I cut them out so that I can add them back at a later date after I mated the body of the product to the required colour successfullly.

I'm really hoping somebody out there has some hints or ideas so that I can get a closer match to the colour I require.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody might be able to offer.

Regards

Nick Perks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Just hit OK, then edit the Gradient as necessary. 

recolorStairTestMov.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradient Map Adjustment Layers with Layer Masks would be one option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 17.07.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that looks so impressive, well done!!!!  But I'm not sure how you did it.  Can you send me an article to read about gradient map adjustment layers please, so I can explore further.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Gradient Map Adjustment Layer just uses a Gradient, you can set Color Stops and pick up Colors from the other image wherever you deem necessary; I would recommend sticking with black and white as the extremes in this case, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool.  I get how you can add the new layer but not how I set colour stops or pick up colours from the other image.  I found the colour picker tool but how do I apply the colour I've picked to my gradient layer.  I really do appreciate your help.  I am very excited that you have found a soloution to my problem.

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click the gradient bar in the Properties Panel and click below the lower side of the gradient to add a color stop, double click it to raise the Color Picker or cmd-click in the other image. 

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 16.45.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm frustrated as I feel I'm so close but haven't quite grasped it.  When you initially click on the Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Gradient map what options do you select from the dialogue box that appears?

adobe1.PNG

Again thanks and regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hit OK, then edit the Gradient as necessary. 

recolorStairTestMov.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so cool, well done.  I am very impressed, thank you so much for that solution.  The trick with the animated image that shows all the steps I need to take is very clever too.  May I ask what app you were using to create the image to do that, is it another Adobe app that does this or is it a trade secret?

Once again thank you for your help you have made my life so much easier.

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used QuickTime Player to make a Screen Recording and then placed that in Photoshop (, reduced the framerate to save space) and exported a gif. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, I presume you are using a Mac then.  Is there a Windows equivalent?

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I work on Mac. 

I don’t know about a Windows alternative but I assume there are a few available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll have to look into it.

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might be a little bit stuck and I was hoping you could help again, please.

I was trying to change the following image:

S001-png.png

However, when I attempt to add a gradient layer as you have previously described I get the following results.

S001-png-colour.png

I assumed it was due to the background so I attempted to remove it using that background eraser tool.  But it still didn't work and I didn't know how to make the background white again.  Having given it my best shot my result fell far short of a usable image.  

My results:

S001-working3.png

I don't suppose you have any idea about where I'm going wrong and how I might sort the problem.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooppss!! I just reaslised that part of the problem was that I had the background set to something other than white when I applied the gradient layer.  However, even having changed the background colour back to white, when I apply the gradient layer the shadows in the image change colour.  So what is the best method to change the background back to white and remove the shadows.

Thanks and regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you . I follow it  and do as the  Adobe tutorial: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/colorize.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines