• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable the annoying but "helpful" video windows that pop up when hovering over a tool?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a full-on CC subscriber; not in trial mode.  I'm using Photoshop 19 (in the version of CC that updated in November 2017).  Every time I hover my mouse over a tool that I haven't used yet, a gigantic video tutorial popup pops up that shows me how to use the tool.  I've been using Photoshop since version 2.0, before there were layers; I know my way around the toolbar.

How do I disable this "feature?"

While I'm at it, there was some other video popup that tried to get me to learn how to place an image on an object in Dimension.  If I'm interested in using Dimension, I'll use it; I don't need you taking up my screen and brain space pointing it out.  How do I disable this "feature," as well?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Every time I hover my mouse over a tool that I haven't used yet, a gigantic video tutorial popup pops up that shows me how to use the tool.

Agreed. One of the most annoying newbie features to arrive in Photoshop for many years. And switched on by default...ugh.

To disable what Adobe calls "Rich Tooltips": Preferences > Tools, UNcheck "Enable Rich Tooltips"

Rich Tool Tips In Photoshop CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, and I just got my renewal notice e-mail. Paying $635 a year to click "no" on popups 20 times a day.
Thanks Adobe Marketing Department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Did you discover a way to disable the pop-ups in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this was never resolved. I had this issue in Illustrator CC and it's never gone away, I see tool tips constantly, every single time I use the app. I need to use InDesign again for some work and now every single tool has an animated pop-up that never goes away until you click the tool and use it. When I take a break and return after an hour to work, the tool tip pop-ups appear again and persist. Again, I don't think anyone from Adobe reads these forums, we're basically stuck with what I assume is a bot that randomly generates new features and re-arranges tools and key commands for each iteration. I'm increasingly more convinced that there is no actual user research going into these design change decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it would be great to have a "guided" vs "expert" setting at the start. I see how it's useful for newbs, but it drives everyone else up a tree. I can only assume that since we're not new users, it's easier to annoy us and have us fix it ourselves than to expect new users to enable a feature they don't know exists.

But seriously. Start screen on a new install, just click a button: "expert mode"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to love Adobe, but these rich tooltips and ridiculous pop-up tool windows (like Colors - WHICH I'VE NEVER USED popping up when I don't [ever] need it) disrupt my workflow and piss me off.  And I can't turn off the rich tooltips in Illustrator—disabling "show tooltips" has no effect.  And there seems to be no rich tooltip preference.  Adobe, STOP THIS DISRUPTIVE GARBAGE.  And kill your bloody upgrade notifications while you're at it—not everyone can upgrade, so shut up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Been using this since Macromedia...who would of thought all i needed to do was google "Annoying tool tips Photoshop" lol. high five.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This annoying feature cannot be turned off. To create in a more peacefult state meaing without becoming so frustrated that I want to shoot myself. I am finding it far better to simply DUMP ADOBE in its entirety. The mantra there is software that is hated and there is nothing else is old. Be good, or go the way of the dinosaur.  REFUND REQUESTED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines