• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable the Save As Copy box when saving as a PDF in Photoshop 2020?

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving a PDF from Photoshop CC 2020, the "Save a Copy" box is automatically checked off in the Save Window. Prior to CC 2020 I could save over an existing PDF file without generating a copy each time without the "Save a Copy" box being checked, how do I disable it?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Hi there,

That does not sound good, could you please let us know the operating system you're working with?
At my end I am ablt to check or uncheck the Save as a Copy box as shown below:
Screenshot_16.jpg

Have you tried resetting the preferences of Photoshop and see if that helps? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound good, could you please let us know the operating system you're working with?
At my end I am ablt to check or uncheck the Save as a Copy box as shown below:
Screenshot_16.jpg

Have you tried resetting the preferences of Photoshop and see if that helps? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply. Following the info in your link, I created a default pref set and the problem seems to have gone away. Before this I kept unchecking the save as copy box in the PDF save window but it would keep resetting to checked.

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I'm using Mac OS 10.15.2 Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I spoke too soon. Here's what happened later in the day.....

I flattened the layers in my Photoshop file I was working on and saved it as a pdf file.

I went back into the Photoshop file to re-edit it and then went to resave as a pdf file, in an attempt to overwrite it. I get the ususal prompt "Do you want to overwrite..." to which I click yes, but I am not given the ability to

uncheck the Save as Copy box which has somehow turned itself on again. If I proceed with the save, I get a new pdf file with the same name as the original but with the word "copy" added to it. Now, I have to go back and trash the original pdf file, then highlight the file name with my cursor and delete the word "copy" so that it attains the name I originally wanted. I am really frustrated - this did not happen in the previous version of Photoshop, and I really wish this bug would get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi carlart!

I am having the same issued and agree it's very frustrating!! Have you been able to find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I need to call someone in tech support. This keyboard ping pong hasn't worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know if you find a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions to this problem? I'm about to use Gimp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..and I'm not gonna flatten all my layers every time I want to save a .png. Been using PS for 10 years, this isn't normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem on both MacOS 10.15 and Windows 10, with Photoshop CC updated to the latest on each.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a .jpg in Photoshop

2. Make some changes

3. Ctrl+Shift+S to "Save As..."

4. Change file format from .jpg to .PDF

5. The "As a Copy" box automatically checks itself

What should happen:

Steps 1-3...

4. Change file format from .jpg to .PDF

5. The "As a Copy" box remains unchecked unless I deliberately check it

This is not the behavior someone expects when they use a "Save As" dialog. Normally when using a "Save As" dialog, the newly saved file becomes the active file. It is not saved as a copy, keeping the original document as the active file, permitting you to make changes to an original without realizing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I am still having this issue as well. It continues to be a frustration. It should be a preference you can decide on when saving a PDF. Plus this is a new thing, in former versions of photoshop you had to check "Save as a Copy" when saving a PDF it was not prechecked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, pretty much whichever file format I want. Very annoying as I have to go and clean up my folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am having the same issue - It was better before when it didn't automatically put the "copy" or it should be an option you can add or remove if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey lorrenal,

They create a new feature a few months ago.

If you are in the most recent version of photoshop they have added some additional options for the "Save As" and "Save As Copy" features. If you go to Edit>Preferences>File Handling. You will see some check box options. "Do Not Append "copy" to file name when saving a copy" may be what you are looking for. I have this unchecked in my preferences.

There is also a "Enable Legacy Save As". I personally like the new "Save As" feature as it means I can save pdfs without unchecking a "Save As Copy" box. Basically you have some options in those preferences that you could experiment with and see what works best for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing you found the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trick is to convert the 16 bit file to 8 bit first and then it will 'save' and not 'save as'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also need to be sure image has flattened all layers.

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, wish this could be fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*EDIT you need to flatten all layers in order for this to work on .png's as one of the other commenters pointed out. Still a bit irritating though, and not a perfect solution.

I got the same issue and i am tired of the file not being overwritten.
For me it happens when i open a .png file, edit it and want to save it as a .png - i cannot choose to overwrite it, and photoshop will create a filename copy name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue! This is so frustrating and time wasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know! No new updates that I've seen - would love to disable the auto "Save as Copy" check. Unchecking has now become part of my process, but it's an extra step that wastes time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue. I'm using macOS version 10.14.6 (18G103). Using CC Photoshop 2020. Saving as specifically from .png to .pdf the box is checked automatically. But saving from PDF to .tiff the box unchecks itself. The same goes for PDF to .psd, unchecked. I'd like it if it is ALWAYS unchecked unless I check it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still haven't found out how to always have the "Save as Copy" box unchecked. Hopefully they enable this as an option in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeung in preferences where to change the save mode, years back you could do that, but I am not seeing it now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines