• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I find this detailed 'noise' texture?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested in finding out what texture does they use in this Black Widow poster. The only thing I have in mind was it's a noise texture but I tried to recreate it and I failed 😞

(The bright white dots on the left)

21.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent a good ten minutees trying to get a close match and not done well.  I can't help but think that Filter > Stylise > Emboss would come in to it as near to final step, but you need to start with the right noise texture.  Camera RAW used to have my favourite noise generator with it's grain texture, but they have changed it.  It is still there under effects, but we can't control the grain size now.

Whatever you try you should probably start with adding noise because other effects need something to work with.

Whoops, you'll need to fill with something like 50% grey to add the noise to.

Then try and work with one of the textures and then use emboss.  That was always leaving the effect darker than your example, so you'd need to use curves or levels to fix that.

If you find you are adding colour at one of the stages, kill it stright away with saturation.  If you make your layer a Smart Object from the outset, you can go back and fine tunes.

I also tried using a rough concrete texture via Google, but it was not much better and it felt like cheating.

Something else you could try is starting with a dramatically oversized canvas and using Render Clouds.  After the first render use Ctrl Alt F which gives you a more dramatic effect.  Then downsize with Free Transform to make the pattern nearner to the clump size you need, and then try Emboss.

Good luck and show us what you come up with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure which texture you mean – the one in the background behind the persons or the overall, fine texture that might have resulted from indexing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the one in the background behind the person

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Hard Mix Pattern Layer might serve as the basis for something … 

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 17.12.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wait, this maybe looks good. Can I see this brush's settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The black Masks have plain soft Layer Masks, the structure stems from the Layer »Pattern Fill 1« (I converted it to a Smart Object to scale it because the default Pattern scaling uses a pretty weak interpolation method).

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 08.15.22.pngScreenshot 2021-07-08 at 08.15.34.pngScreenshot 2021-07-08 at 08.15.55.pngScreenshot 2021-07-08 at 08.16.01.pngScreenshot 2021-07-08 at 08.16.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines