• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I use a Microsoft Surface as a drawing tablet?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Microsoft Surface. No, it's not a Surface Pro. But since I don't have a Wacom tablet, I'd like to be able to use my surface like a Wacom tablet and have the things I draw on it show up in Photoshop on my computer. Is there any way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Many of the Wacom features are wired in to PS.

You would have to figure out a way for the Surface to emulate the Wacom api  which for the surface; are not available.

People are clamouring for the Microsoft tablet mode to emulate the Wacom tablet features, but knowing Wacom they are not about to give Microsft their api interface.

They might not take nicely to the Surface eating the Cinitiq 13HD lunch at their own expense.

Suggest you move on in your endeavours.

Anything that may come down the line inv

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

switch it to tablet mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean use the touch screen without the keyboard? That doesn't tell me how to hook up the surface to my desktop or to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft Surface What ?

Are you able to install any version of Photoshop does it meet Photoshop's requirements?

• Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor
  • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
  • 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
  • 2 GB of available hard-disk space for 32-bit installation; 2.1 GB of available hard-disk space for 64-bit installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
  • 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB of VRAM (1 GB recommended)*
  • OpenGL 2.0–capable system
  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.**
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a Surface RT.

No, I cannot install Photoshop on the Surface. That's not what I'm trying to do. I want to run Photoshop on my desktop, and use the Surface as an input device, just like an ordinary Wacom tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ is our resident Surface Pro expert, but I did just find this:

j5create JUD500 - Wormhole technology is cool | Microsoft Surface Forums

I have no idea if it will turn your SP into a Cintiq though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to fine  device driver for the system the system your running Photoshop on that would allow you to connect your RT as a tablet.  I went the other way.  I found a virtual device driver SpaceDesk   Using it I can use a web browser on my Surface Pro 3 and connect to my work station as a third display.  So on my workstation I have a third display that has a high 216 ppi resolution with 2160x1440 pixels. I can use my Wacom Intuos Pro on the third display.  I can also plug the intuso Pro wireless adaptor into the surface Pro 3 USB3 port and use the Wacom tablet and pen with the Photoshop CC 2014 installed on the surface.

Windows10.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using a Wacom with the Surface? Are you saying there's no way to use a Surface like a Wacom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use can the Surface Pro 3 some what like a Wacom Cintiq but not actually like a Wacom Cintiq. The Surface Pro 3 Pen does not support tilt , has less levels of pressure can not be flipped to become an erase type brush. The Surface Pro 3 also has no express keys.   I did find a utility Touchkey that can add touch controls. It very hard to use Photoshop without a keyboard. The Surface Pro 3  with its keyboard attached its hard to use the Surface Pro 3 as a table.  So I have Wacom Intuos Pro Small Tablets and use it at home. Also keeps Finger prints off the Surface and your work is always visible.  With the use of Tuchkey I can use Photoshop Without  keyboard on the Surface Pro 3 and without the Wacom.   Sill If I were to travel for any length of time  I would differently pack the Small Intuos Pro.

The Surface Pro 3 has a great 3:2 aspect ratio 12" 216 ppi  display. I use it as a third Display on my workstation for  a second View of the document I'm working on.  I work on my image on my Low resolution 23  display and have my Photoshop Pallets on my 18.5" low resolution display.

The Surface Pro 3 is my workstations third display that allows me to take Photoshop on the road... Here is a Windows 10 Screen capture..... You need to realize the right screen has the most pixels but is the smallest display with high resolution that matches the aspect ratio of my camera. With the current software I can only connect  2160 x 1440.  when I try to connect in portrait orientation  the virtual device driver was coded to handle as max height of 1600px.  I has requested  the developer the handle displays with more pixels then it currently does.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the Wacom features are wired in to PS.

You would have to figure out a way for the Surface to emulate the Wacom api  which for the surface; are not available.

People are clamouring for the Microsoft tablet mode to emulate the Wacom tablet features, but knowing Wacom they are not about to give Microsft their api interface.

They might not take nicely to the Surface eating the Cinitiq 13HD lunch at their own expense.

Suggest you move on in your endeavours.

Anything that may come down the line invariably will be some kind of unsupported hack.

Time to whip out the old check book and purchase a Wacom tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a app called virtual tablet. You might want to try that ou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Surface Pro - it combines the best features of a tablet and laptop I think. You get access to Photoshop on a portable device. The detachable keyboard makes it versatile (use keyboard shortcuts or remove it for the full tablet experience) and doubles as a screen protector. Minimal showboating. The draw-feel is really nice on it too.

you may can't dothing this , just buy a drawing tablet without screen , such as xp-pen Star G640S graphics tablet .  then you almost can do everything about digital art .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://spacedesk.net/

Something else that may be of interest to trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines