• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply gaussian blur on the entire image except for the edge?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

I have a (seemingly) very easy task to do: apply gaussian blur to an entire image - except for the edge of the image. The edge needs to be sharp, not blurred. However, I don't seem to find a way to do so. Every time I try the image becomes semi-transparent on the edges too (like a blurred frame). I don't want to crop my image to get rid of the "blurred frame". Does anyone have advice to solve it otherwise?

I attached pictures of the issue.

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Just before bluring, take a new snapshot in the History pallet, and use it along with the History Brush to paint your sharp edge back in. 

Another option - select the area and then apply Feather to the selection. A Feather amount of just 1 pixel was enough to prevent the edges from blurring. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 11.39.37 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Here's one way to do it:

Duplicate the original layer:

ADOBE-BLUR-1.jpg

Apply the blur to the copy and select how far in you want the edge to be crisp. With the blurred layer selected, go Edit>Cut.  (This will give you a hard edge. If you need the edge to be less sharp, you can blend the cut edge to taste by going "Refine Edge" with the marquee tool before cutting.)

ADOBE-BLUR-2.jpg

The crisp edge of the original is now visible. Merge the layers and you're done.

ADOBE-BLUR-3.jpg

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just before bluring, take a new snapshot in the History pallet, and use it along with the History Brush to paint your sharp edge back in. 

Another option - select the area and then apply Feather to the selection. A Feather amount of just 1 pixel was enough to prevent the edges from blurring. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 11.39.37 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear SJRiegel,

thank you for your answer and picture! The history pallet solution worked really well for me.

Have a nice day,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert all the image's layers to a Smart Object Layer. Select the area you want to blur. Add a smart Gaussian filter. Then you can always adjust the Smart Filter mask to adjust the blurred area and readjust the amount of blur. Its a none destructive edit that way.

Capture.jpg

like this

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear JJMack,

thank you for teaching me how to use a smart filter in this case!

Best,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one way to do it:

Duplicate the original layer:

ADOBE-BLUR-1.jpg

Apply the blur to the copy and select how far in you want the edge to be crisp. With the blurred layer selected, go Edit>Cut.  (This will give you a hard edge. If you need the edge to be less sharp, you can blend the cut edge to taste by going "Refine Edge" with the marquee tool before cutting.)

ADOBE-BLUR-2.jpg

The crisp edge of the original is now visible. Merge the layers and you're done.

ADOBE-BLUR-3.jpg

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Leslie,

thank you for your clear description and providing an additional way of how to solve the issue! I am happy I can continue.

Have a nice day,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

blurring the filter mask will also soften the edge areas

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines