• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to automatically deselect lasso selection after applying gaussian blur?

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this used to be the default, I would lasso tool to make a selection and then gaussian blur (doing frequency seperation retouching). After I applied my gaussian blur to the selection it would automatically deselect for me so I could quickly just make my new selection without having to manually deseleect with ctrl+d every time. How can I make my Photoshop 2021 (Windows 10) automatically do this again like it used to? 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Select the lasso tool the look at the tools option bar. Make sure you have the icon new selection still active.  You most likely have it in Add mode now.

Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would Photoshop deselct a Selection after applying a Filter? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember Photoshop ever deselecting after applying a filter to a pixel layer.

It does deselect after adding the filter as a smart filter (i.e. apply the selection and filter to a smart object) - so that the filter mask now contains the selected area.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the lasso tool the look at the tools option bar. Make sure you have the icon new selection still active.  You most likely have it in Add mode now.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir this was the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the other forum members, this is not default behaviour.

Perhaps you had an events based script installed that automatically ran the deslect command after the Gaussian Blur filter was run and you forgot that it was installed...

Even without a special events script, one can setup the Script Events Manager to automatically run a script or action set/action when the Gaussian Blur event is triggered:

Event Name: Gaussian Blur

Descriptive Label: GsnB

That being said, it would be prudent to script a conditional check so that the script would only be fired if certain criteria were met, perhaps based on layer name for example. So if the frequency separation layer was consistently named "low frequency" then run the deselect command after using Gaussian Blur, otherwise the selection would not be deselected for any other layer when Gaussian Blur was run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normals operation of the lasso tool is to delselect and start a new selection unless a modifier key is pressed or a lasso tool option other the new selection is set.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe that is the issue here JJMack.

I understand the retouching method and workflow, I have been there and done that many times in years gone by.

The OP has selected an area. That is it. They then blur the selected area. That is it, don't overthink it, this is just a selection, it could have come from any method that creates a selection, the method used to create the selection is not the critical point here. The OP's expectation is that after blurring, the selection should be deselected automatically, without the need for deselecting via keyboard shortcuts, menus etc. The trigger here is that after running the filter, the selection is deselected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think about it.  If blur does not deselect would not using the lasso the lasso tool after blurring a lasso selection with the  blur filter, deselect the previous selection in it normal new selection mode to create a new selection?.

What they are seeing is lasso not deselecting because its not in it not in new selection mode

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you, but if no more lasso selections are required, then there is still a selection active after the blur that the OP wants automatically deselected.

I personally don't think that CMD/CTRL D (or a mouse click with the appropriate tool option set) is that onerous, however, that is why we have events based scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might have seemed as if the lasso tool worked this way if you went ahead and made another lasso selection right away (because that will clear any previous selection without requiring Command D).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I want but after I blur and make a new selection, the old one is still there. I guess I will have to add it to a script. I don't remember having to do that before I reinstalled though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response, turns out I simply had to choose the new selection icon rather than adding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines