• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable postfix "copy" in the name of saving as copy jpeg?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since new update Adobe broke saving jpegs from 16 bit tif files in "save as" menu.
Ok. Adobe now forcing me to change my workflow to "save as copy". Ok. 

But why they changing the name of saving file? Just adding one more unnecessary step to rename file back to original name. And no choice to change the process of saving. Thanx Adobe for creating useless actions to me.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not Photoshop, that's MacOS. Since Catalina, MacOS no longer allows stripping "-copy" from the filename. They removed the API (application programming interface) that made it possible, and replaced with another that doesn't.

It's not a bug, it's a deliberate policy decision from Apple.

Platform parity is essential for a bunch of other reasons, so they had no choice but to change it in Windows too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Apple spoils life even to windows users, through Adobe. Great. 

And i can't roll back the photoshop version to cancel this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you can, but it's here to stay, so obviously it will be in all future updates. You'll be stuck.

If you were on Mac, you'd have to roll back the operating system too, back to Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ty for not disabling rollback feature in Adobe Update. Yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's one thing I don't understand in all this: why doesn't everybody just make actions for saving out jpegs? I've done that for years, and I'm entirely unaffected by all this. I wouldn't even have noticed it if it didn't cause such a riot here in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Action won't cut it, as it will always save the file in the folder that was choosen when making the Action.

It need to be a script. That's not something everyone is comfortable with.

”MacOS no longer allows stripping "-copy" from the filename”

Ok then instead don't put it there in the first place. It is obvious that ” copy” is put there by Photoshop. How can I tell? Well I use the swedish version and it adds ” kopiera”, wich is the verb for copy. Not the noun ”kopia”, wich is added in by the MacOS system in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just get a copy of Hazel (https://www.noodlesoft.com), have it 'watch' the folder(s) where the document is saved, after the fact, have Hazel rename the document (and more). 

A Folder Action may work too. Striping "Copy" isn't rocket science in any case. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Striping "Copy" isn't rocket science in any case”

That's my point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Molnfab wrote:

Striping "Copy" isn't rocket science in any case”

That's my point.

Then 'just do it" <g>. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a developer at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Molnfab wrote:

I'm not a developer at Adobe.

You don't have to be a developer to solve this “issue”, you just have to make the effort described. If you can't; understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Striping "Copy" isn't rocket science in any case” was meant for the Photoshop developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several years later: There's one thing I don't understand in all this: why doesn't everybody just make they own photoshop? I've done that for years, and I'm entirely unaffected by all this. I wouldn't even have noticed it if it didn't cause such a riot here in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go into Edit>Preferences>File Handling and in the File Saving Options check "Enable legacy "Save As"" and "Do not append "copy" to filename when saving a copy". This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, this discussion began with version 22.4 when Save a Copy and "- copy" was first introduced.

Your correct answer relates to the current version 22.4.2 which introduced Legacy "Save As" and fixed the "- copy" postfix issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for clarifying! I just tried to fix this today, and I'm pretty sure last time I tried to fix it, a few months ago, those options weren't available. So it's nice to know I'm not going crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines