• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import vector graphic as a Shape in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an EPS file that is a simple shape. I'd like to import that into Photoshop as a shape, not as a Smart Vector Object, which seems to be the only option. Is there a way to do this? 

If not, how do I add a vector object to one of my Libraries so that it isn't linked to the file on my disk that originally created that object? That's why I want a shape, something that isn't linked to someother file on my computer, because if that file is moved or deleted, it breaks the connection and creates problems. 

Thanks!

P.S. Nice new forums! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped working with EPS files ages ago.  You say you want a simple shape.  Have you looked at the custom shapes that are included in Photoshop?   See screenshot.  If you don't see what you like in the drop-list, click the gear icon on the right for more shape options.

clipboard_image_0.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the shape is a logo. I simply want to turn a vector version of that logo into a Photoshop shape. I thought this was possible at one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this Photoshop Academy video helps you.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media
Understanding workflow differences between Illustrator and Photoshop can help you create designs more efficiently. Sometimes one tool is better than the other, but sometimes you need to use both. This video will show you the four different methods of copying vector shapes from Illustrator into ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using Illustrator, it's a different software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Adobe Illustrator you can open the eps in Illustrator, copy (Edit>Copy) the object, then in photoshop paste (Edit>Paste) and select Shape Layer.

psh.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Also, the illustration software I'm using is Affinity Designer. I'd love to use Adobe Illustrator instead, but, if I added that to my subscription it would cost 3X more per month and I can't justify the cost for how little I need to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution, but it's a little convoluted.

In addition to Affinity Designer and Photoshop you'll need Gimp.

https://www.gimp.org/

1. In Affinity Designer open your eps and Export it as a SVG

ex1.png

2. In Gimp open the SVG with Import paths checked, go to Windos>Dockable Dialogs>Paths, click on the Eye next to the path to  

make it active. Then go to File>Export As and select TIFF Image.

ex2.png

ex3.png

3. In Photoshop open the TIFF Image, go to the paths panel, click on the path and then you should be able to define a custom shape.

(Edit>Define Custom Shape)

ex4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered there is a much better way that doesn't involve gimp.

Just open your EPS in Affinity Designer and Export As a PSD that should retain the paths when opened in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you so much! 🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines