How to improve this scanned photo

Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I got this photo that was scanned.

Michel non traité 19.png

There is a texture that appears on the photo, principaly on the dark tones of the man. Probably coming from the photo paper. I mitigate the background in blurring it, but I can't do that with the man in the front. How to suppress this texture? I use Photoshop CC version 17.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

As Mike says, that is noise.  I think the easiest, and still very effective. noise reduction tool in Photoshop is in the Camera RAW > Detail tab.  I've pushed all the way to 100% below and it has reduced the noise without impacting too badly on detail.

image.png

This shows before and after, and demonstrates that you can work on a copy of the layer, and use a Layer mask to mask out areas where you feel detail has been lost

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try filter >> Noise >> Median >> 12 on  a copy of the layer. you can them mask out the face so only the dark jacket noise is suppressed and detail of face is preserved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mike says, that is noise.  I think the easiest, and still very effective. noise reduction tool in Photoshop is in the Camera RAW > Detail tab.  I've pushed all the way to 100% below and it has reduced the noise without impacting too badly on detail.

image.png

This shows before and after, and demonstrates that you can work on a copy of the layer, and use a Layer mask to mask out areas where you feel detail has been lost

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Mike and Trevor for your advice. That works. Effectively, the noise reduction tool in the Camera RAW seems reduce noise with less lost of details.

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines