• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to make brush blending mode affect layers underneath like layer blending mode

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

How can we make brush blending mode affect layers underneath like layer blending mode?

I want to be able to paint on a normal layer and then use the effect of overlay on that rather than needing to go back and forth between layers whenever i want the overlay or whatever effect

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the layer blending to blend into lower layers

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry how do you do that, could you show a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi where is the blend into lower layers option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Target a layer in the layers palette then the controls I outlines in Red at the top of the layer palette are uset to set the Layer Blending, Opacity  and Fill. 

Additionally double clicking in the layers palette on the layer near the layers name will open the Layer style dialog,   In that dialog are same settings controls and more advances settings for Blend Mode, Opacity, Filll the large center area outlined in red.  Near  the bottom there is Blend if gray and sliders under that for further finer control over blending.    

Tools like paint brushes also have settings for Blend mode and opacity brushes have other settings as well you may even want to  equate brush spaces with fill. But Brush settings are for the current layer you are painting on. To effect lower layers you blend the current layer into the lower layers.

You have a lot to learn about blending Photoshop blending is a heavy subject.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I want to be able to paint on a normal layer and then use the effect of overlay on that rather than needing to go back and forth between layers whenever i want the overlay or whatever effect«

What does this mean exactly? Could you post screenshots to illustrate? 

Though I suspect this might be a »square circle«-kind of issue … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well there isnt really a way to screen shot this as its more of a workflow

The idea is that if you have layer 1 as Red color

Then layer 2, use Overlay layer mode you get the Overlay effect over the layer 1 red color for anything you paint on layer 2

But if I use layer 3 Normal layer, and I set my brush blending option to overlay it wont do the same thing as layer 2
The only way I can get the same effect is if I paint directly onto layer 1 which has the base red color, but thats a destructive workflow

I just want a fast way to use Overlay on a normal layer so I can do everything on the normal layer both overlay and multiply effects as I want on the fly, without needing to switch between layers 
Those few seconds of clickin back and forth really stilt the workflow momentum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»I just want a fast way to use Overlay on a normal layer«

You want a circle but it has to be a square? 

That’s not what the Brush Tool does or is intended to do, as far as I can tell, and you may have to look for a work-around. 

Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 08.36.30.pngScreenshot 2021-07-14 at 08.37.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines