• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make Symmetrical Shapes using the Pen Tool?

Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Is there a good way to make Symmetrical Shapes (with Vertical Symmetry) in Photoshop CC? I know this is possible with the Brush Tool, but can I do the same with the Pen Tool?

I am creating the Front View of a Character for Animation.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajnesh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Hi, No it is not possible to use the Symmetry functionality with pen tool. It only allows you to do it with brush too.

For pen tool you have to do it manually.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Please see following video guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Muqqarib.

In the examples you have attached, one half of a Shape is drawn. Then it is reflected and moved so that the complete shape is formed.

However, I am looking for something similar to the Brush Tool's Symmetry functionality.

I have attached an image of what I am trying to do.

When I use the Brush Tool with Symmetry turned on, Photoshop automatically creates the symmetrical portion on the other side of the Vertical Center Line (pale blue in the image). This was used to create the lower flower like images in the image I attached.

The upper shapes are vector shapes, and they were created with the Pen Tool.

I would like the left one to be automatically created when the right one is created (for example).

Is this possible with the Pen Tool?

Thanks again.

Rajnesh

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 3.38.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, No it is not possible to use the Symmetry functionality with pen tool. It only allows you to do it with brush too.

For pen tool you have to do it manually.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am often in need of a pen tool that will draw in symmetry.  It would be very handy for creating paths around symmetrical objects.  Such a shame that the pen tool got left out of the suite of tools with symmetrical capabilities (symmetrically speaking).  Did I mention enough words pertaining to symmetry? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brush symmetry cannot be used when drawing paths, in fact it reflects in a selected path. So, at present, you are limited to drawing the path component and copy-transforming it to create the reflected path.

You can raise bug feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
Adobe Photoshop Family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For work that’s purely illustrative anyway Illustrator may be the better choice in this case (Object > Repeat > Mirror). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines