• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Place A Photo On The Desired Layer

Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am trying to use a Smart Layer to add an effect to a picture.  I need to place my desired photo on the layer that is marked with green on the tab but I can't figure out how to do that.  I have tried Edit, Select all and Edit Paste (from one file to the other).  I have also tried File Place.  Both of these result in the creation of a totally new layer rather than the photo being placed on the desired layer (I did click on the layer before taking the above steps).  I have included a screen shot.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a smart object will always create a new layer. Pasting will also create a new layer. What you need to do is create the new layer and merge down to combine it with the layer that you want it pasted into, or use blend modes to combine the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Thank you for your reply.  I bring in the picture into a new layer and then I try to select Layer - Merge down (by selecting just the new photo I brought in) and this option is grayed out.  When I select the layer with the green tab and the new layer and then choose Merge layers it deletes the green tab layer that I'm supposed to use to create the effects.  I've included a better screen shot of what I am attempting to do.  Thanks for helping me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Just one more quick note that I forgot...  I also tried to move the Texture Layer to the top and it does show that effect on top but it doesn't seem like I can make the changes like I should be able to as seen in the other layers below.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sound like you have a template with a smart object layer that has some design and you want to change the design. There are two ways you can doe this.  First you need to know that all Smart Object layers have an associated object transform which may include distortion and warping.  The transform will not be changed when you change the Design.  Therefore your changed design must have the same aspect ratio, size and resolution as the the smart object in the template.  So you can use menu Layer>Smart Objects>Replace Content... to replace the smart object with a different image  design.  Or you can double click on the layers content thumbnail in the layer palette to open the object for editing.  The layer's Object will open in ACR, Or Illustrator or Photoshop. Do not changes the size of the object.  When you commit the changes Photoshop will replace the smart object layer with you updated object 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Thank you for your time and your help.  I looked for the Layer - Smart Objects command and I was unable to find it.  I also tried to double click on the on the thumbnail that is next to where it says "Edit Content" and nothing oopened up.  I also tried to move the Texture Layer to the top and it does show that effect on top but it doesn't seem like I can make the changes like I should be able to as seen in the other layers below.  I included more screenshots for reference.  Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - Thank you for your reply.  My Layer menu looks different (I included a screenshot of it).  I am using Elements.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines