• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Save As

Participant ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I constantly open files from one location and save to another. But the open file keeps the opened location and name after I have saved it to a new location. If I continue working on the file, I have to navigate to the saved location again to update any changes. I dont want to have to close the file, navigate to the new location, open the new file, to continue working on the file. How do I, when I Save As, have the opend file, be the new name and location? thx. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure this is an easy one.  

1) Create an Action that opens files and place a stop in the open area or add a common function such as curves or hue/sat layers etc.  Then...

2) In the Actions save dialog you can choose the folder you want to save files.  

Now each time you run this action it will save your files to that location.  You can run it as a batch on a folder of files, and they will all open in succession, then save to the new folder when you're done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob - Except that the open and save location are different every time, and choosing the Open and Save As locations in the action takes the same amount of steps as doing it without the action, if not more.  I want to minimiz the number of steps/clicks. Navigating to the Save As folder for each file takes several clicks each time. Once I open the file and then navigate to the Save As location, I want the opened file to be the Saved As version, not the file from the original open location.  In fact I want to open a file, change it, Save As, several times, changing the file each time, keeping the new changes in the open file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No action can solve or shorten the "save as folder is different every time" part of your problem.    Any time you open a file that is the file path that PS will assume you want to save it in unless you create an action.  Even "Open as a Smart object works the same way.  

You can of course save as many times as you like with different names to get as many different versions of a file you want.  But saving in different locations will incur different mouse clicks to get there, unless you change your folder structure to allow for what PS can do.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks, what I dont understand is why, after you have saved it as a new version in the new location, obviously a change you would like to have and use, the opened file stays connected to the original location. the closest i have come is to save to new location, close the file, open the new file at the new location, and then any more save as actions will by default be to the new folder rather than the old one, which is what i want to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you happen to be on a Mac, you might want to look into Default Folder X which can do this and more, and for all applications. 

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines