Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would you improve this picture?

Contributor ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I took this picture during a twilight, and i'd like to ask you how you would improve that picture.

Personally i improved curves and vibrance: 

gtsolid_0-1621505581070.png

But I think It's possible doing better

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

comp.png

When creating the impression of a wide vista, one of the first considerations is cropping to enhance that impression. I suggest you consider the proportions similar to the one shown here. (Tap to enlarge)

Next, remember that the viewer is drawn to the lightest part of an image first. If it is unrewarding: burned out or lacking in detail or significance in the of overall image, consider removing it. (Pinpoints from a distant light source are an exception.)

Finally, in horizon photographs, un

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shadows/Highlights is not very often that useful to me, but as it can be applied as a Smart Filter I would in this case recommend try it to get some more contrast in the almost black areas. Maybe mask it somewhat, too. 

Maybe also sharpen the town on the river. 

Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 12.18.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why a smart filter and why should i mask the darker area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Filter because the alternative is using the Filter destructively – and that has obvious drawbacks. 

Naturally one could achieve great results before Smart Object even existed in Photoshop but why would one deliberately work worse than possible? 

And a Layer Mask or Filter Mask would allow you to apply the effect selectively (if at all). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

comp.png

When creating the impression of a wide vista, one of the first considerations is cropping to enhance that impression. I suggest you consider the proportions similar to the one shown here. (Tap to enlarge)

Next, remember that the viewer is drawn to the lightest part of an image first. If it is unrewarding: burned out or lacking in detail or significance in the of overall image, consider removing it. (Pinpoints from a distant light source are an exception.)

Finally, in horizon photographs, unless the sky consists of a brilliant array of colors, the sky rarely benefits from yellow. I suggest you consider adjusting the right part of the sky.

One parting comment: @c.pfaffenbichler 's choice to drag the green out of the deep shadows was superb. Still, with the lightest part of the image so large and yet offering so little, perhaps a photograph taken at daybreak would have been a better decision. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A twilight is similar to a daybreak, don't you think the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed we were looking east. (Don't ask me why.)  Same game looking west. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used Shadow/highlight with smart filter too.  

and blend mode is screen //

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines