• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image is blacked out in Photoshop 22.4.2 on macOS

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running v.22.4.2. on an iMac. When I open a particular file, the area is black, with no image visible. I have tried re-saving the file in various formats, and have the same issue. What am I doing wrong?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Adobe moves more and more processing to the GPU as each update progresses. 

@eddybaby wrote:

The question is how to resolve it.

You can roll back a version. 

You can keep the GPU off. 

You can put it on and suffer the issue again. 

You can wait for Apple to fix the GPU bug. 

You can blame Adobe which will do nothing to solve the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 22.4.2 while opening your file. Which macOS version are you working on?

If you are facing the issue with a particular file then the issue might be with the file itself (some corruption in the file). If you are facing this issue with multiple files, you can try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps. 

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikunj,

Disabling the 'Use Graphics Processor' option does solve that particular issue, thank you.

However, doing this creates other issues, for example I now cannot use the Filter > Render > Flame option.

It is highly impractical to have to disable and enable the graphics processor to obtain full functionality, so I appreciate your suggestions to resolve this.

(Mac OS Catalina v 10.15.7, iMac late 2013 NVIDIA GrForce GT 750M 1GB) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any driver updates are contained in Apple software updates, which are upto date on my iMac.

I don't have any other issues with the GPU, and I had no issues with the previous version of Photoshop. This would suggest that it is the update to Photoshop that is causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe moves more and more processing to the GPU as each update progresses. 

@eddybaby wrote:

You can roll back a version. 

You can keep the GPU off. 

You can put it on and suffer the issue again. 

You can wait for Apple to fix the GPU bug. 

You can blame Adobe which will do nothing to solve the problem. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point, the solution will to get a newer Mac. I just had to sell my 2011/2012 era Macs and upgrade to 2015 MacBook Pro and iMac, which has bought me some time. But even those will be out of date in 2-3 more years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that disabling/enabling the GPU works, and all other software works fine, then it's clearly an Adobe PS issue and not the iMac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eddybaby wrote:

Given that disabling/enabling the GPU works, and all other software works fine, then it's clearly an Adobe PS issue and not the iMac. 

No, that is your assumption, knowing nothing about the Adobe code used for a specific usage in their application. 

You asked in your first post "What am I doing wrong" and you were told. Must we continue when the soluiton is factually provided? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@eddybaby wrote:

I'm running v.22.4.2. on an iMac. When I open a particular file, the area is black, with no image visible.

Hi

This happened to me today when I opened three jpegs from the Finder into Photoshop. They all had black for the image area. I have no idea why I did what I did next, but I clicked the new layer button and everything cleared up.

I had three files to play with and this is what I learned:

• Adding a new layer clears the black image issue
  • Undo removes the extra layer and the image is okay (a good workaround)
  • Close without saving > reopen and the black is still there
  • Save > Close > Reopen and the black is gone (not a good workaround for jpegs)

The last step worked for me this time, because I just needed to photomerge the images and send them to my landscaper, but I didn't like resaving a jpeg. I also did not try Revert, as I have removed the command and shortcut in all of my Adobe apps and it was not important for this file.

Can you try adding a new layer to see if that also works for you?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines