• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image size is locked on 'percentage' and cannot be reset to pixels.

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always defaulted to pixels in the past when sizing images. Have restarted ps and hit every 'restore default' button I could find, But still no pixel settings. When I click on pixels in the drop down, it immediately reverts to percentage. Advise, please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try resetting your Photoshop preferences, which you can find under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Derek.    OK. Just tried that and the first time I opened the image size box it came up showing inches. When I tried to reset to pixels it immediately locked back on percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard. The Cancel button on the Image Size dialog will change to Reset. Click on Reset and see if that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this and percentage is still locked in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this, but no change to percentage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a problem I never even heard of in all my years here. I'm very close to advising a Clean Install. It wipes files especially from older versions that could be jamming up things. Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Can you go to Help > System Info, click the Copy button and paste the results here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a clean install the the problem still persists! I depend on ps for so much and am now completely against a wall. any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are Rulers set to Pixels in Preferences?

Right click a ruler to confirm

Locking  layers does not seem to affect it.

You didn't answer if Resample is checked or not?  That's the only condition I can think of that will prevent the size field being set to Pixels.

Is Pixels greyed out, or can you select it and it then reverts to inches?

You can see it is greyed out here.

Is this happening with all documents, or a specific document?  I have encountered the screwed document syndrome  several times in  the years I have used Photoshop.  Copying the layers to a new document has always fixed that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor - have reviewed and followed all suggestions from everyone but nothing worked. So did an uninstall/install, twice, and the problem is still the same:

open image size and it reads inches. try to change inches to pixels and it goes to percent. any additional attempts flick right back to percent from there on.

Am paying attention to all advice and appreciate the time that everyone is investing in my problem.

I was editing a series of images, as usual, and right in the middle of the process this problem presented. I feel I must have accidentally done something, but have no clue as to what it could be. I have used ps in one form or another for photo editing for a decade, at least

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version Photoshop is it and what is your OS version? Maybe we can see if there was a bug with what you have.

The system info might provide a clue, but you have to post it in your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just reinstalled the most current ps, using windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is ​Pixels ​greyed out, or are you able to  select it and it then changes back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not greyed out. I click on it and it immediately goes back to percentage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to sound pedantic,  but can you please be very clear with your answers?  No abbreviations please.

Are you using Photoshop CC2019 V 20.0.1?

What version of Windows are you using?

Did you run the Cleaner tool when reinstalling?

Is this happening with new documents that you created since reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies

Am using Photoshop CC2019 V 20.0.1

windows 7

Used the cleaner tool when reinstalling

Problem persists as before cannot begin to create a new document without being able to size the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/denis+mg17930391  wrote

Problem persists as before cannot begin to create a new document without being able to size the image

Can you explain this in more detail?  You can have multiple documents open of course.

What we are trying to work out, is if there is an issue with a particular document, and according to your answer above, I am not sure we have done that yet.

Try this:

Open the Image size panel and make a note of the size in inches.

Close the panel, and select the Crop tool

In the Options Bar, use the drop down and select W  H Resolution

Put the original sizes in the W and H fields, but use a resolution about half of the original.

Nudge one of the corner handles  to make the Crop active, and OK it.

This should halve  the image size in pixels exactly as if you used the Image size panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor - have spent hours with india techies chatting on this problem, but never any closer to a resolution. so frustrating!

am now only working with one image at a time, with nothing else open. have tried different images, but all are treated the same way.

have tried two earlier versions of photo shop today so far, but the problem is exactly the same

cannot explore your suggestion using inches and crop, as everything is locked at 100 percentage. and with that locked, crop is greyed out, so that test will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening a new user account on Windows and see if the problem is still there when you run Photoshop?

Also right-clicking on Photoshop.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator" to elevate the program's privileges has helped some.

Since you have Photoshop and are a subscriber, you can call upon the big guns in Tech Support to go into a remote session, something we can't do.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have spent many hours since I started posting here with those big guns to no avail. They get tired of the back and forth and not being able to solve the problem and then just disappear after about 3 hours. Cant blame them, but it is a bit maddening. Will try phone next, after the weekend is finished.

It seems that preferences, somewhere, need to be reset. Are there any preferences anywhere other than those accessible from the app screen? Some file somewhere that I can access and adjust for this problem?

Thanks everyone for all your time. Just waiting for the info/guidance that will allow me to click that 'correct answer box......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julianne Kost shows where the preferences files are located in your drive and you can remove them so a new psp file is built.

She provides others tips. So this vid is worth a try. How to Reset Photoshop Preferences File - YouTube

Also: Photoshop CS6 preference file functions, names, locations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started to worry when I saw this was Windows 7.  With nothing seeming to work, I am wondering if Windows is broken.  It seems likely that Photoshop uses Windows functions and libraries.

What would you say the health of your OS is?

How long since it was installed?

How often has it crashed?

Do you get BSODs?

Try this, in this order.

Uninstall Photoshop

Run the Cleaner Tool

Check the App Data file hierarchy looking for folders left over from the Cleaner tool

Delete and preference files

Photoshop CS6 preference file functions, names, locations

Run the Windows System File Checker.  I can't say this has ever fixed anything for me, but I guess it is worth a go.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

You might as well generate a health check while you are at it

Generate a System Health Report in Windows 7 to Check for Errors

If the OS looks OK, go ahead and reinstall Photoshop.  If it fails again, do a clean reinstall of Windows.

What hardware are you using?  Some PCs, like HP and even Dell, have a very easy to use reset feature

We could do with input from Noel ​ but he is only a couple of weeks into his new job with Adobe, so its a big ask as he is unlikely to have the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - will check into all this. One thing for sure is that w7 is barley functional. Will get back to you when I straighten that all out. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, everyone who has responded to my problem solving attempts.

Everything anyone suggested, I followed to the letter and repeated the process numerous time. Everything!

Then I went to the dial up support and worked for three days with them, totaling many hours, trying every solution possibility anyone could come up with. After endless repetition with different techies, no resolution was reached.

After another 90 minutes this afternoon, they had to admit that:

No body has ever seen anything like this

Nobody has any idea what else to do, and,

"Sir, I want to be honest with you, but there are many problems with 20.0.1". We are working on it all the time.

......."we will have our senior team look into this and they will 'call you back'. ".

Riiiiiight. I am holding my breath now, you know?

As I pay a monthly fee for this software, and have lost a week's time in photo editing that can, indeed, be quantified in real $ (not rupee) terms, I feel that "I understand your frustration, sir, We are very sorry that you are having these problems. We will try to help you now, sir.", is not a very satisfying or productive response from the Adobe folks.

Actually, am pretty f***ing upset right now!

And there seems to be absolutely nothing that I can do from, this chair.

When this gets resolved, and believe me, it will, I will post here what exactly the resolution turns out to be

Thanks again for everyone's time on all this

dusty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's crazy - this is the first time ever I have heard of a problem like this. Never in history has this happened to me or anyone I heard about. What are the statistical chances of a bug hitting one person?

There must be something simple we're overlooking here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines