• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IOError: General Photoshop error occurred.

New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!! I have deadlines that I cannot meet for clients and need to fix this issue immediately!

I am running v 22.4.1 of Photoshop and v 10.2 of Lightroom Classic (desktop). I also have the most updated version of camera raw installed. Both software versions were running without any error until 2 days ago. When I choose Edit in> Adobe Photoshop 2021, Photoshop opens but displays this error message: 

"IOError: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop. -no additional information available>"

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop and also installing an older version of Photoshop and nothing works. I continuously get the same error message. I am working off  MacBook Pro with 16GB Memory and Graphics Card is Radeon Pro 460 4GB. Details in screenshots attached. 

Please help! I have no idea how to fix this and continue with my work to meet client deadlines! THANKS IN ADVANCE! 😃

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Found this thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/ioerror-general-photoshop-error-occurred/td-p/12074339

One user mentions this

"I have the same issue on a PC. After the IO error msg dialog I frequently cannot close Photoshop. Several times I cannot even end the photoshop process in the task manager. I solved the problem as follows:

- turn off the graphics processor in Photoshop (pref - performance)

- edit in photoshop from lightroom

- after image loads in photoshop turn graphics processor back on

- close the file."

When you said you tried an older version did you try version 21.2.8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response! I tried this exactly as you wrote it.

Turning off the graphics processor in Photoshop allowed me to open the file! Thank god! However, upon turning it back on after the photo loads, the program crashes. I think this solution is a temporary bandaid because performance is greatly affected.  (For example,  with just one click with the healing brush, the area remains black for 30-60 seconds before processing the results.)

I have not tried v 21.2.8... is there a reason to specifically try that version? I installed the version just prior to the latest one, as everything was working perfectly until randomly, mid-edit 2 days ago.

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of people are experiencing issues relating to GPU's in Photoshop versions 22.xx, I'm not a MAC user but from what I understand it's not possible to update the GPU drivers from the manufacturers website.

Photoshop version 21.2.8 seems to be a lot more stable with respect to GPU's for some people so may be worth trying. Adobe have changed the system requirements for GPU's in versions 22.xx, that been said your GPU is well within the system requirements.

You can have 2 versions of Photoshop installed from the Creative Cloud both 21.2.8 and 22.xx

I have both versions installed but I don't have any issue with my RTX2060 super using version 22.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again- thank you for your help with this. 

After reading your last reply I realized that I have v 22.4.1, v 21.2.8 + v 20.0.10 all installed on my computer. 

1. Could the issue possibly due to having multiple versions installed?

2. I checked within the Preferences menu in Lightroom and although you can choose how the file is handled, you can not choose which version of photoshop is the default. When I right-click and choose 'Edit in' it only says Adobe Photoshop 2021. How can I decide which version Lightroom uses when using 'Edit in'?

3. What is the benefit that having multiple versions installed?

4. Aside from waiting for Adobe to fix these issues, is the only solution to own a computer with a much newer and/or better Graphics Card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned I'm not a MAC user, I use Windows 10, so I'll answer your questions as best I can

"1. Could the issue possibly due to having multiple versions installed?"

For me I've never experienced issues having more than one version installed.

"2. I checked within the Preferences menu in Lightroom and although you can choose how the file is handled, you can not choose which version of photoshop is the default. When I right-click and choose 'Edit in' it only says Adobe Photoshop 2021. How can I decide which version Lightroom uses when using 'Edit in'?"

Sorry can't help you with this as I don't use Lightroom and again I use Windows, file associations are different with MAC's which I've no experience with.

"3. What is the benefit that having multiple versions installed?"

Adobe are known for introducing bugs in new versions, they even introduce bugs with bug fixes, sound strange but it's true, so having another version installed is kind of a backup should the new version not work as expected.

"4. Aside from waiting for Adobe to fix these issues, is the only solution to own a computer with a much newer and/or better Graphics Card?"

From what I've seen on the forum most people are MAC Big Sur users that seem to be experiencing the most issues, even people with high specs MAC's are reporting issues and it seems to be related to the MAC Big Sur OS.

My PC was purchased in 2012 with an Intel i7 3770k CPU, I upgraded the GPU with a Nvidia RTX2060 Super, added 32GB of RAM and a couple of SSD's over the years and have very little to no issues running Photoshop version 22.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For MacOS, you may need to grant permissions to Lr and Ps:

You can grant permissions to Photoshop by going to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then selecting the Privacy tab. Select Full Disk Access and Files and Folders from the list on the left, then add Photoshop to both.

Restart your Mac and Photoshop afterwards and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! Thank you for your help with this issue. I just went into these settings and those permissions have already been granted. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never run into this before, so I'm hoping something here will work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/program-error-opening-psd.html#Programerrorwhilesavingfiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines