• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to export to SVG from Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PS file that has text that I converted to a shape, plus another shape. I want to convert that to an SVG file, but, when I use the Explort As dialog, the only export file options are GIF, PNG and JPG. If I do Save As, the only options are Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, and TIFF. 

I searched the help system, there's nothing there that I can find. Did they remove SVG export from Photoshop?? I sure hope not. I have Photoshop 22.4.3. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 251 Replies 251
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

I was aware of the M1 issue, but what's curious is that it works fine on v22.3.1.

For now, I'll just skip updates until this is fixed, since it runs much smoother without Rosetta.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi well it's an issue with 22.4.2 on the PC and yes I have the prefs checked and unchecked

the SVG option is not on the list when I uncheck the option in prefs the thing doesn't run at all ?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lawrence R 

Please clarify:

• Which preference did you check and uncheck?
  • Which command are you using to try to save in .svg?
  • What does "the thing doesn't run at all" mean?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. For me, going from jpg to svg, the image was a simple black and transparent line drawing.  All you have to do it make sure the colour is in RGB! 

IT HAS TO BE IN RGB COLOUR: Image > Mode > RGB Colour

I'm assuming you know the rest about creating paths etc before Export As.

Unbelievable, I just wasted 2 hours on this and the answer was so easy after reading a tutorial on how to do it in Inkscape and then it came to me.

Good luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'low usage'? The length of this and other threads proves it's quite the contrary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. The best answer is still this: Under Preferences > Export, enable Use legacy “Export As”. Quit and relaunch Photoshop. Select File > Export > Export As...

JainLemos_2-1647444970793.png

JainLemos_0-1647444836167.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one problem with this: getting vector output from Photoshop is really hard. Most of the time it's still pixels - and so PNG is a better choice.

The SVG format makes a whole lot more sense in Illustrator.

A lot of people think that saving to SVG is all it takes to magically produce vector content. Maybe it's a good idea to not encourage that misunderstanding too much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't disagree with you there, @D Fosse. But that wasn't the original question, which now has 32.5K views and 140 replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse wrote:

The SVG format makes a whole lot more sense in Illustrator.

Agree, if the file is created as vector in Illustrator.

The Help page linked to in the answer marked correct says,

"SVGs can be handled better in vector apps like Illustrator and XD, since Photoshop is primarily pixel-based work. Open your PSD in Adobe XD or Illustrator and use their export as SVG functionality."

This doesn't make any sense to me. I don't see how opening a raster Photoshop file in Illustrator and then exporting will help with the functionality of the SVG at all. A raster image does not magically gain anchor points when opened in a vector application.

A lot of folks were using the Photoshop export to SVG and seemed to be quite happy with it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe not everyone is so strict about results of .svg produced by Photoshop 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but you are wrong. All you need do do is to create a path. And in the past I run into different use cases to turn a PS file into a svg.

Of course this is nothing you usually do with a image. But PS is not only a photographer tool. And the way, Adobe is slightly either removing stuff or updates basic stuff like "safe as" by simply ruining it, is anoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but you are wrong. All you need do do is to create a path.

By @wende60

Yeah, you can make a path - but any fill or stroke will be pixels. A PNG would serve exactly the same purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wende60 wrote:

"Adobe ... updates basic stuff like "safe as" by simply ruining it, is anoying."

If you mean "Save a Copy", it was driven by changes Apple made to the API and left Adobe to fix at their end.

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, everybody should read that. But even though this goes a long way to set the record straight, they are still missing an important part of the equation. The piece starts:

"Rather than continuing to act as it has across applications on all computers for decades, Adobe altered the basic functionality and has left users baffled"

In fact, this ability to save directly to jpeg was introduced in Photoshop CS5, with much fanfare. In CS4 and earlier, you couldn't save to jpeg at all, if the file had layers/16 bit depth etc. That's right! It wasn't possible at all! First you had to flatten/convert/anything it took to satisfy the jpeg spec.

Not only that. No other application on the planet can save directly if the file has properties not supported in the target format. Affinity, anyone? You have to go through a full Export. Save won't do it there either!

So all these people ranting either have short memories, or haven't tried other software, or both. This was an extraordinary hack, and I bet they regret that now. If they hadn't done anuthing back then, just let everything work as it always had, everybody would be blissfully ignorant and happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system doesn't like your post. It is hidden in Threaded view (and 'Earliest' Linear). You can access it now only from first post of 'Latest' Linear view: I cannot see my reply in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should it tell Adobe, that many users go back to both, legacy export and legacy save as. Seems that the Abo pricing leads to a lot of "improvements" that ruin a solid software. Pls Adobe, stop it.
Here some needed improvement for you: PS is not able to update a PS file on a Synology NAS (Mac, BigSur). This is a real challange for you devs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me but when I attempted to open that svg file in my vinyl cutter, it does not recognize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because it has raster content, which is what Photoshop generally outputs whatever the file format.

If you need a vector file, just saving to svg won't help you if it's raster data. Then you could just as well save to png. If you need a vector file, save out vector data from a vector application like Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse  you are absolutely correct - correct application for correct job.

But for some of us this is a hobby, one that does not bring extra income to justify spending extra for the Adobe Illustrator upgrade package.

Some of us actually just need a pass (for vinyl cutters or lasers) not whole fill, as it is mentioned in the above post.
Ability to use Photoshop to create that pass, although difficult, but exists.

And People prefer to use application that they already have and know, vs. application that they need to start paying extra for.

I can guarantee that if AI was part of Photog Package - you would not have thread that long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@apuzikov 

Inkscape is a free vector app.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, there are plenty of the apps that will do job as good or better, but they all will require initial investment of time to learn how to use them. Photoshop I already know.
All we are asking from Adobe is not to get rid of the functionality that so many of us already using.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing SVG exporting is a big mistake and feels like a scam to make money off more Illustrator subs. There is no option for using legacy in Photoshop now either. This is a shady move on Adobe's part.Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.40.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.37.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anything, it's an attempt to make people use the appropriate tool for the job. As such, I fully support that.

SVG is a vector format that can also contain raster content. But the expectation is vector, that's how the format is used. If you're going to put raster content in an SVG, you can just as well use PNG to exactly the same effect.

You can, in some very limited circumstances, get Photoshop to output vector content. But you have to work at it, and do you expect the general public to understand the distinction? Not likely. The realistic result of SVG export in Photoshop is a flood of SVGs with raster content. And who do you think they'll blame when those files are rejected? That's right, they'll blame Photoshop and Adobe.

Just the appropriate tool for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do your paths properly then that is moot. It's not Photoshop wasn't the right tool for the job. Taking away functionality because someone might being using it improperly or might blame someone for their failing is an awful mindset. That makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reopen your SVG in Illustrator and see how much vector is left in those paths. It's all pixels.

And no, it's not moot. The whole point of vector in an SVG is scalability. Pixels don't scale.

The only things that will survive are live text and shapes (but not paths).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines