• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keywording a PSD image in Bridge turns image black

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Bridge CC, when I added a keyword to certain PSD files, four of them turned totally black.  If I open them into Photoshop, they also appear totally black.  When I have first opened Bridge, sometimes I can see the image and sometimes it is black.  This problem first occurred after I updated to the latest PS version.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the current and past versions of PS and am currently rolled back to version 11.0.2.123.  The results are the same in all versions.  I did this process on 4 different versions of PS.  I also just recalibrated my monitor using Datacolor SpyderX and no change either.  I also tried deleting the PSD files and recreating them from the RAW files.  They look fine until I start keywording them and then these four PSD files go black again, as illustrated below.  I am using a PC on Windows 10 Home.  Help would be much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Looks like this was resolved by removing the offending metadata:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/delete-metadata/m-p/12128832#M28719

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Offhand I'd say you have a GPU problem.

Pay particular attention to Photoshop's new GPU requirements. See links below.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see how the problem is a GPU problem, as I have a high-end, custom-built PC with this configuration:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042, x64-based PC, ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING, 32 GB RAM, Display Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 32 GB RAM, 16 GB shared GPU memory, 3840 x 2160 display resolution, 681 GB available disk space.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated your graphics drivers from the card manufacturer's website lately?

Are you using dual displays with separate graphics cards?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I had updated my graphics driver recently, but don't know the date.  Today it said there was a new driver v466.77, so I updated to that one and rebooted my PC.  When I opened Bridge, it was the same with the 4 images showing as total black.

I only have one display.

Any other ideas?  Thanks much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Preferences in Bridge

=====================

Start Adobe Bridge and immediately press Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) until the Reset Settings dialog box appears. Select all three options -- Reset Preferences, Reset Standard Workspaces, and Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache -- and then click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as you suggested and reset preferences and workspaces and purged the cache.  Bridge then opened and I went to the folder with these images and the 4 images were still black.  This was before trying to set Preferences to my personal preferences.  Thanks for your ongoing suggestions.

Other thoughts to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issue was due to adding XMP metadata in Bridge, perhaps you can "fix" the images by removing the XMP metadata in Bridge. Contextual click the affected image and use the "Remove XMP Data" option. This is a rather heavy hammer and more metadata will be removed than just Subject/Keyword metadata, so work on a copy of the image.

There are other methods such as scripts and ExifTool to only remove Subject/Keyword metadata without removing other metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I am unable to see where I can access the "Remove XMP Data" option.

Attached is what I see when right-clicking on the image in Bridge.  "Remove XMP Data" is not shown as an option.  I am not a programmer and don’t know how to run scripts or use an ExiifTool.

I also tried to remove the metadata by clicking File > Export > Save for web (legacy).  Then beside “Metadata”, I clicked None.  The image remained solid black. 

This is turning into a real project.  I appreciate everyone’s ideas.  I hope this problem doesn’t recur.  For now, I think I will just give up on ever being able to use these 4 images that turned total black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot to attach the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was a default script, but it must be custom.

If you go back to raw and open in Photoshop, try using File / File Info to add keywords. This may help isolate if this only affects Bridge and if the image doesn't go black at least you can move forward.

You certainly don't need to be a programmer to save/install/run scripts! Full instructions linked below.

The following script is available from the Tools menu, it will remove all XMP metadata:

// https://forums.adobe.com/message/8934040#8934040
#target bridge  
if (BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge"){   
var removeXMPData = MenuElement.create( "command", "Remove XMP data", "at the end of Tools");   
}   
removeXMPData.onSelect = function (){   
if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined) ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject("lib:AdobeXMPScript");  
var sels = app.document.selections;  
for (var a in sels){  
var thumb = new  Thumbnail(app.document.selections[a]);  
var md = thumb.synchronousMetadata;   
var xmp = new XMPMeta(md.serialize());  
        try{  
        XMPUtils.removeProperties(xmp, "", "", XMPConst.REMOVE_ALL_PROPERTIES);  
        var updatedPacket = xmp.serialize(XMPConst.SERIALIZE_OMIT_PACKET_WRAPPER | XMPConst.SERIALIZE_USE_COMPACT_FORMAT);  
        thumb.metadata = new Metadata(updatedPacket);  
        }catch(e){alert(e);}  
    }  
};  

The following script is accessed from a contextual right click menu option and will remove all XMP metadata:

// https://forums.adobe.com/thread/708537
#target bridge     
if( BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge" ) {    
removeXMPDAT = new MenuElement("command", "Remove XMP data", "at the end of Thumbnail");  
}  
removeXMPDAT.onSelect = function () {   
   removeXMPData();  
   }  
function removeXMPData(){  
if( xmpLib == undefined ) {  
  if( Folder.fs == "Windows" ){  
   var pathToLib = Folder.startup.fsName + "/AdobeXMPScript.dll";  
  } else {  
   var pathToLib = Folder.startup.fsName + "/AdobeXMPScript.framework";  
  }  
  var libfile = new File( pathToLib );  
  var xmpLib = new ExternalObject("lib:" + pathToLib );  
 }  
var sels = app.document.selections;  
for (var a in sels){  
var thumb = app.document.selections[a];  
  var md = thumb.synchronousMetadata;    
  var xmp = new XMPMeta(md.serialize());  
        try{  
        XMPUtils.removeProperties(xmp, "", "", XMPConst.REMOVE_ALL_PROPERTIES);  
        var updatedPacket = xmp.serialize(XMPConst.SERIALIZE_OMIT_PACKET_WRAPPER | XMPConst.SERIALIZE_USE_COMPACT_FORMAT);  
        thumb.metadata = new Metadata(updatedPacket);  
         }catch(e){alert(e);}  
    }  
}  

Instructions for saving and installing these JavaScripts here:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like this was resolved by removing the offending metadata:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/delete-metadata/m-p/12128832#M28719

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing whatever you did adversely effected the image's color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to the Color Settings?  I opened one of the black images in PS and clicked Edit > Color Settings and this is what I see:

photogal11_0-1623787850644.png

Does anything look suspect to you?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open image in PS.

Go to Image > Mode.  What are the checkmarked values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RGB Color and 16 Bits/Channel are the two things checked.  That is what are always shown for my PSD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines