• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest Update is a Disaster [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else feel that the latest Photoshop CC update is a disaster? Why does Adobe do such frequent updates, and change the interface willy-nilly? Now, when I open multiple RAW files, I can no longer view the file numbers unless I click on a specific file - irritating, at the very least. Also, the Photoshop window doesn't fit on my high-res screen any longer so, if I want to cancel out of a session, I can't! *** *** Adobe, can you please just leave things alone unless and until you have a major functional improvement ready?!!!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Clark S. :

This is a user-to-user forum (users helping other users). Venting here may make you feel better, but it is more productive to use this page to reach the Photoshop team with your ideas and issues: https://feedback.photoshop.com/ 

Tell us more about the Photoshop window not fitting anymore—even better, share a screen shot. We don't know if you are on Windows or Mac, application frame on or off. 

As a long-time Adobe user, I do install the major updates so that I can answer my student's questions (and forum questions) but I continue to use the older version for work, until I am sure that the kinks are worked out. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never knew that compaint page ever existed. I tried to use it but it wouldn't let me because I'm not signed up for it and would have to create a seperate account and new password. I've got enough accounts and passwords in my life right now.

How do I find out if the 2021 updates have been fixed? I installed it when it first came out and my computer ended up had two versions of everything and not one version worked correctly. Adobe tech did remote session to remove new versions and straighten out the mess. The tech told me there are issues with the updates. Tech didn't tell me how to find out when it might be safe to download/install another Adobe update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pixelfor ,

This page has the known issues with the workarounds. Follow it as it gets updated.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

I do not appreciate your condescending admonition ("venting here may make you feel better"). I enjoy using Photoshop but do not like the frequent updates that carry problems with them. Maybe you should tune into customer expressions of dissatisfaction with the automatic product updates and do something to avoid future issues (like release notes and/or the option to not accept the latest release). 

And, to answer your specific question, my operating system is Windows 10 Home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder  said:

This is a user-to-user forum (users helping other users). Venting here may make you feel better, but it is more productive to use this page to reach the Photoshop team with your ideas and issues: https://feedback.photoshop.com/ 

@Clark S. said:

"I do not appreciate your condescending admonition ("venting here may make you feel better")."

Clark, if you read Barb's entire paragraph instead of just the middle section, then what she said may sound less condescending and less of an admonition. As volunteers who are users and do not work for Adobe, we can help when folks have questions on how to use the software and can direct them to the correct place for other issues.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clark:

My apologies if my reply came off as "condescending admonition". That was not my intent. Many first time forum posters think they are talking with Adobe staff, and I was trying to explain that that is not the case. The community forums are moderated by volunteers—users like you—who work with these applications at a professional level and who enjoy helping other users with their "how-to" questions in their free time. We understand the frustration when things go awry—it happens to us as well. 

On to the issues at hand:

1. Are you aware you can disable automatic updates in the CC Desktop app? It sounds like that would be beneficial. 
  2. Are you aware that you can reinstall CC 2020, also through the CC Desktop app (if you uninstalled it when you were installing 2021)? You can continue using 2020 as long as you like. 
  3. What happens when you maximize Photoshop? It still doesn't fill the screen? Can you share a screen shot so that we can see what is happening?

There are known issues with 2021. See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html. Photoshop not filling the screen on Windows is not on the list, so it may be unique to your system or maybe others haven't gotten around to reporting it yet. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then stop making Photoshop worst!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In v13 of Camera Raw, you can turn on filenames for your raw thumbnails by hovering over the upper right of one of them and checkmarking "Show Filenames" from the "three dot" menu.

Since you keyworded "Windows" Barb Binder is best at those resizing issues.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.51.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea what the point of this update was myself other than just to change things for the sake of what .. boredom by developers? Everything was perfectly fine and now everything is a mess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, why did you choose to install it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's this thing called automatic updates. And as soon as I realized it had been updated and spoke with customer service, realized they could not find a solution, so I reverted back to the previous version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There's this thing called automatic updates."Yes, there is. But if - like me - you aren't a fan of change for the sake of it, WHY do you have this option switched on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but do you know any regular users who are involved in the devops that occur prior to updates? Oh no? Well then how do you expect to know that an update is going to generate errors without installing the update? Oh, you don't? Ok then .. I installed it just like everyone did. It sucks. I made a post about it like everyone did. Oh and then I reinstalled 2020. Derp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need inside info to be careful. Even if the new app works perfectly, it might take out some function you rely on, or work differently, or need some study. So allowing automatic updates is something I would never do.  I guess this hasn't happend to you before... but EVERY update has a long queue of people who have problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there's no way for a user to know whether any of those known problems or another unknown problem will affect you unless you install the update .. btw I'm a 10+ year cyber security professional. You can see by the comments in this thread alone that the issue I have isn't affecting anyone else/many others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! So the process goes (if you don't just ignore updates)

- notice there is a new upgrade

- if it's less than a month old ignore it

- install it when you have time for some evaluation, keeping the old version

- test it

- if there are problems, report them, look for solutions, study the changes, or put it aside for another day, when perhaps another update will have fixed them.

You can indeed use the forums to try and get solutions, but coming to whinge that a new update had problems and complaining at the whole idea of updates is just going to get into this sort of debate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

L-O-L I'll say less .. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not privy to their decisions, but at least you got the filenames back.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/ would be the site to visit.

Also you can continue to use the last version if you are happy with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now, when I open multiple RAW files, I can no longer view the file numbers unless I click on a specific file - irritating, at the very least."

Hi @Clark S. 

To view the filenames in ACR, use the menu in the lower left and choose "Show Filenames". You may also want to choose Vertical instead of Horizontal for the display.

jane-e_0-1603827917018.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems so far:

1.Gradients panel flys out and won't close immediately ANY time I use it.  Unchecked "reveal all hidden panels" still does it.

2.Scrubby zoom sometimes works, it's not related to layers or masks because it does it when both factors are in play. 

3.Brushes are not diffuse at all no matter what settings I tweak-the amount of pressure doesn't impact it either. 

4.All of my brushes and gradients are blown out and disorganized.

5. Everything is laggy even with external RAM

6. Can't delete a layer by clicking 'delete' button.  No resetting of prefs affects any of these problems.  

7. Actions that use blur filters are not playing with the full blur effect.

8. Every day I get a msg that one or more plugins isn't loading even though an Adobe tech moved all of my plugins with me watching it.

9. Not sure effects brushes like burn dodge etc work because I can barely see a change in any images they touch.

WTF.  Hold time for support ? 1 hour plus.

Reason:  Apple mode of commerce:  same product, justify monthly fee by 'updating' and 'adding new features' and completely messing up workflow and common sense.  

If anyone has an answer to any of the above I'd love to know.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.Add this to the list: randomly shut down entire app , mid-edit.

2.Default pos of toolbar is resize, not selection tool/pointer.

3. Slide a filter adjustment bar, wait 20 seconds.  No ability to do real time edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. I still can't use PS 2021 because of  severe zooming issues. I have posted here and sent in bug reports ( including video of the behavior). I got a few suggestions  from helpful folks here ,which sadly didn't work. I got the same suggestions from my bug reporting efforts. But after I reported that those suggestions were tried and failed, they went silent

At this point all we can do is be patient and hope for a fix in the future. Thankfully, there's still the option of  gong back to using PS 2020.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent an hour on the phone with a patient help desk guy when the update happened and of course windows chose that moment to update so they nicely set an appt at 4:30 am for me to take another call and I cancelled that as it was too early and they set another for 7:30 or so and I just said, "I can't use 2021 until these problems are resolved".  So I went back to using 2020.  I go to launch 2020 a day or two later and instead of 2020 , 2021 pops up and I see in the CC App interface (also WAY over engineered versus the tiny window that would smartly pop-up all this time-just WHY???)   and I launch 2020 and it's not 2020 , now it TOO has been 'updated' successfully, although I never launched an update (for this kind of reason).  

I went back to the drawing board after having no luck launching 2020 (stalled in processing repeatedly even after restarting the PC twice and clearing task manager ) .    I tried like hell to use 2021 -WHICH TOOK FOR FREAKING EVER TO LOAD-EVEN LONGER THAN PS CC 2020 -and I could not get past the fact that none of the brush settings really work.   Everything was an intense pressure level at the center of the brush and zero diffusion.  It made editing impossible.  Also every time I touched a layer in an action it reordered the steps so now I have to reinstall several actions because they won't work properly now and I have no way of knowing what got switched and I had customized random actions to work together in folders by type of editing ...SO MUCH TIME wasted.  For a bloated, non working, glitchy, slow loading, unresponsive app where none of hte tools work properly but all you see on the CC App page is all the things they fixed (none of t hose things impacted me) and they seemed not to care about the problems complained about on these forums) and none of the solutions posted by USERS, (not ADOBE engineers who are completely absent from this process of inflicting a BETA version of an update on it's subscribers to see what happens? )  At the BUSIEST TIME OF YEAR FOR COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS?  I managed to get 2020 to launch and I'm having to reorder the actions and get back into a workflow but this is truly sucky becuase the 2020 that launches from the CC App is not the 2020 I have stuck to my task bar (which is the version that works)  .   There seems to be also a rush to compete with the more precise Capture One software. Based on what I've seen they aren't close.   I'd also like to complain that the version of LightRoomCC that has the ability to adjust preset level with a slider is ONLY on the version that requires buying cloud space.   What the actual you know what?  We already pay for the license every month, so why are we not able to use that adjustment tool for desktop???  Rant over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

becuase the 2020 that launches from the CC App is not the 2020 I have stuck to my task bar (which is the version that works)  . 

I'm confused that you have two versions of 2020. Go to Help > About in each and give us the exact versions with the dot releases. Also, you can uninstall 2021 from the CC app if needed. I have automatic updates turned off, and when I do update, I confirm the default to keep the previous version so I can play with the new version but not use it for real work.

Be sure to post issues to the feedback forum where the Adobe developers will see it:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines