• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Left and right bracket keys randomly don't work

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop CC for about a year. the latest updates are installed. Windows 10 up to date. Almost since the beginning the left and right bracket keys randomly do not function to increase or decrease brush size. If I click once or twice on the workspace, often it corrects itself. I have tried 2 different wired keyboards and 2 different wireless keyboards with the same results.

Thanks

JK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

I have seen that also on many versions of Photoshop. If you adjust the brush size through the toolbar that always fixes it, but it is annoying. I prefer to use a different keyboard shortcut that allows not just brush size but also hardness to be changed dynamically. All you do is hold down ctrl-alt on a PC or cmd-option on a Mac and right click the canvas. Moving the mouse left and right and up and down then changes the key brush attributes.

brushResize.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen that also on many versions of Photoshop. If you adjust the brush size through the toolbar that always fixes it, but it is annoying. I prefer to use a different keyboard shortcut that allows not just brush size but also hardness to be changed dynamically. All you do is hold down ctrl-alt on a PC or cmd-option on a Mac and right click the canvas. Moving the mouse left and right and up and down then changes the key brush attributes.

brushResize.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes , I have also seen that occasionally. Seems to be "random" in that I've not found a way to reproduce it that I could write up. A minor annoyance.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow, the keyboard had switched to one of my alternative keyboards (from English to Portuguese) and therefore my brackets stopped working and thus my brush change stopped working. switched the keyboard back to english and it worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this problem where the language was switched. Windows has a couple shortcuts that switch the language. Windows-key + space is one of them. Easy to accidentally hit while using photoshop. There doesn't seem to be a simple way to disable the short-cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the Spanish Keyboard 😞

--
Boomer Grace
(Personal info removed)

--
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello gsmega2015 thanks for the tip. It did worked for me. Keyboard language change back to english and bingo, back to normal. Thankls a lot. Have a wonderful day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH WONDERFUL!
I feel so useful! 🙂

--
Boomer Grace

(Personal info removed: second time)
--
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This solved my problem completely, I didn't even think of that. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use the Spanish or alternative keyboard?

The brackets are different. Go back to Enlglish and try again 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensuring 'Caps Lock' is OFF solved this issue for me. Hopefully this tip will help someone else if the other fixes don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines