• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Long wait times in Printer Dialogue boxes solved

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a photographer who is represented by a local gallery where there is significant interest in my work that I get orders for prints frequently. On and off again over the past 5 years I've witnessed a duel between Adobe and Microsoft that has played out on our backs because they were unwilling to acknowledge who was creating the bottleneck and who should solve it.

I just found an elegant solution of my own. It is a bit unconventional, but I have been testing it now nearly every day for about 3 weeks and it is performing flawlessly.

Here is an analysis of the problem;

I press <CTRL-P> to bring up the Print Settings Dialog. It takes 80 seconds to appear. I press the <Print Settings> button to dive deeper into the configuration. It takes 80 seconds to appear. When the <Printer Properties> screen finally appears, I make the necessary changes and click <OK> to return to the Print Settings Dialogue. It takes another 80 seconds for that dialogue to appear. I make whatever adjustments are required (usually just paper selection. I press the <PRINT> button. It takes about 80 seconds to send the info to the printer and finally begin the printing job.

By this time I'm pulling my hair out and I only have about 20 more prints to make.

The entire time between deciding to print and actually beginning to print is about 6.5 minutes, and this includes the 80 second lag after you press the <Print> button and have control over Photoshop again.

I have seen this game played out through a variety of releases of Photoshop. At one point it had been broken for 3 years and then repaired, I was elated for about 10 days when it broke again. There are many threads here about this particular problem and the magical ways people have found to apparently fix it, if even for a very short time. I found a relative innocuous and foolproof way around the issue.

As long as you have around $2000.00 available and the skills required, you should be able to achieve the same results as me. Currently all dialog boxes appear and reappear in under 2 seconds. I single sheet feed my Canon Pro-1000, and I can't feed it fast enough to keep up with it.

I built a new computer. Here are the main components:

1. AMD Ryzen Gen 5 3600X CPU
  2. Samsung 980 Pro NVME M.2 storage
  3. Asus ROG STRIX B555-F motherboard
  4. 64gb of DDR5 Ram.

Interestingly enough I used my old Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 video card because newer cards were impossible to find ant reasonable prices.

Same OS, Windows 10, which I despise with a passion. Once the box was built and stabilized (about 2 weeks) I opened Photoshop and was amazed to see nearly instantaneous transfer between the various printer dialog windows, the printer, and ultimately back to Photoshop.

Whatever bottlenecks existed in the software (who's software I am no longer concerned with) prior to the build have now vanished, and my workflow has returned to a calmness that I truly enjoy.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have experienced this in the past when I was using an AMD GPU. The problem was introduced with an AMD driver update and the only way around it was to roll back the GPU driver to an earlier version. It was eventually resolved in another AMD driver update. Eventually I switched to NVidia and all has been well since.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines