• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Marquee and Hand tool snapping to corners.

Participant ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone.

Just to get this out of the way: I'm running Windows 10 (everything up to date), Photoshop CC 21.1.1, and an Ugee tablet (think poor-man's Cintiq).

When I launch photoshop to draw, things work fine for a while, but after about 20 mintes, when I use the hand tool (space, H, or by clicking on the tool) to move to another portion of the artwork, it starts snapping to the upper left. I could try dragging down, and it's even more up and left. If I keep trying to use the hand tool to move my view of the canvas, it ends up looking like this:

Photoshop Snapping.PNG

I've already tried turning on-and-off various swiping, scrolling, and overscrolling settings.

If I re-start the program, it works fine...for about 20 minutes, and then we're back to funky snapping. 

I noticed other hand-tool errors were solved with the update, but like I said, this version of Photoshop is as up-to-date as possible. I've updated pretty much everything on my computer.

Is there something I'm missing? Anyone else struggling with this glitch?

[Moderator note: PS-49375]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I see several mentions of 21.1.1, please update to the latest version, as fixes for tablet have been added, in 21.1.2 and 21.1.3: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#painting-brush

See also this help document if you use a wacom: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same thing. PS CC is updated to latest version and does it even when Wacom not plugged. So annoying, hard to work without panning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same error! Both the hand and the marquee bug that other people have described. It happens both with a wacom intuos tablet and mouse. Using windows 10 64 bit, Photoshop version 21.1.3. Seems to happen after some time of using photoshop and turning it off and on fixes it temporarily. Turning off windows ink didn't help, nor going to preferences and turning off overscroll, flick panning etc. Turning off snap doesn't help either.

I just updated from the 2019 version so I don't know if this was introduced in recent versions.

I have 2 monitors, the main one being on the right. The panning happens to the top left like OP's picture, but the marquee tool snaps towards the right.

Another bug that has been happening to me seems to be related: Only when using my tablet, dragging layers in the Layers tab sometimes locks the input, as if I was clicking continually, and only moving the mouse seems to unlock that and drop the layer. The moment this bug happens, it triggers the panning and marquee bugs too.

Hopefully this information helps you reproduce it, but let me know if you need anymore specifics!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the tablet drivers are fully up to date!

EDIT 2: A few more details about this bug! The default monitor for photoshop (the one photoshop opens in by default) changed from left to right (I don't know how it changed, might have done something while messing with it). Since then, while the bug still happens the directions have inverted! The pan snaps to the top right and the marquee snaps towards the bottom left! So it might have something to do with that.

Also, I don't know if this might help, but it happened a few times while livestreaming so the footage is saved. You can see an instance here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/640269678?t=03h18m21s

And I managed to capture a couple more elusive parts of this bug. I attached two videos, in the first I get a locked document, same as others describe above. You can still save so it doesn't lose any work but it's annoying. And in the second I managed to replicate something that happens with the lasso tool (a similar thing happened with the brush tool before). When you're in this "glitched state", if you move around a bit and then click with any of these tools, it will quickly make a sribble all over the screen. I hope some of this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I did reset my hotkeys and it's been working fine so far. That
glitch would drive me crazy!! Have a good one 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer! I just tried resetting hotkeys and preferences and it didn't help, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info.  We're actively working on fixes for these issues.  It may have something to do with a bug in how Photoshop is handling either multi-monitor coordinate and/or how PS is dealing with OS Display Scaling.  On one of my test machines I can repro the bad panning and selections when OS Display Setting is set to 200% but it doesn't repro at 150%.  That may be a temporary workaround until we get this fixed and in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow-up.  In my case I have three monitors.  Two are identical monitors at 150% and one is different (true Adobe RGB) is at 100%.  My temporary workaround is to use PS CC 2019.  It is working perfectly.  I miss a couple of the new features in PS CC 2020 but it is better than having the bugs.

I hope you find a solution so I can start using 2020 again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the latest version of Photoshop on a Wacom Cintiq (with updated driver software) as an extended screen and the same problem keeps happening. I need to close and open Photoshop after some time of using and it's a bit annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- moved my comment below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can add to the specifics of this glitch. The image seems to ignore the drag action, instead, upon release the image moves the scroll towards the direction of the click placement in the working area. for example: (image centered) a click in the top left corner of the working area the scroll beings to travel that direction up and to the left, and will continue to do so until the image finds itself in the opposite corner, bottom right.
This is why it seems to move the opposite direction when clicking and draging the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to version 21.2 yesterday and I am disappointed to see that this problem has not been fixed.  There were some nice improvements but this problem is so frustrating I cannot use PS CC 2020.  I have switched back to 2019.    In addition to the window snapping when dragging - tools that you can click and drag are also affected.  Several others have also mentioned this problem.  When I was using the clone stamp tool I would click it would act like I clicked on one point held the shift and clicked on another point.  So I would get a clone stamp line across the screen.  I have to exit PS and come back in to get it to work.  At one point yesterday I was using the clone stamp tool and it started continuously dragging all over my screen when I was not touching anything.  It was happening so rapidly it completely consumed all my computer resources.  Opening the performance app PS was consuming 97% of my computer resources.  The only thing I could do was terminate the PS app.  I have other posts on this subject and you can see I am using all the latest updates.  Windows 10, PS, Wacom tablet, graphics drives etc.  I have three monitors.  When this occurs I was using my mouse not the tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello was wondering if you guys are still working on fixing this issues? Its getting a bit ridiculous with how many restarts of PS i have to go through on every projects. Please fix this glitch. Thank you for your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.1 was released yesterday and has a fix for this.  Please update and verify that the bad pan snapping and marquee selections work as expected now.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I am in the process of updating now.  I haven't seen the problem for a while but I have not been using my Wacom tablet much.  I am not sure it that is why or not.  Hopefully this will take care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I think I have a "solution" for this problem. I've started to notice this happens when I change between the mouse and my wacom pen to zoom in or out. When I use my mouse to navigate and the glitch starts happening, I just switch to using the pen for panning instead. It stops snapping towards the upper left corner, works like normal again and I don't have to reset the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same error and it's so frustrating, it's made using Photoshop completely unsuable. Same thing- even a few seconds after restarting the entire program if I try and zoom in or use the hand tool- snaps to the far upper left. I can't believe such a huge company can't figure out how to fix this, why are we paying for this program if they let it be this buggy? This has been a problem for months now. Nothing fixes it. Updated everything, all my drivers. Reset all my preferences, my hotkeys. Wow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.1 was released and has a fix for this.  Please update and verify that the bad pan snapping and marquee selections work as expected now.  Please confirm that 21.2.1 has resolved the problem for you, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it didn't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response! 

Just to be clear, it is the panning that is still snapping back/to the wrong location? 

Also can you tell me if you use PSUserConfig.txt (UseSystemStylus 0)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still running into this issue with the 21.2.1 update, can you please reply with your current experience listed below.  Simply reply with #1, #2 or #3.  Thank you!

#1 NOT seeing the issue with 21.2.1 and DON'T have PSUserConfig.txt in Prefs folder (UseSystemStylus 0)

#2 STILL seeing the issue with 21.2.1 and DON'T have PSUserConfig.txt in Prefs folder (UseSystemStylus 0)

#3 STILL seeing the issue with 21.2.1 and DO have PSUserConfig.txt in Prefs folder (UseSystemStylus 0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad.  My answer is #1.  I have upgraded to 21.2.1 and have not seen the issue for a while.  I do not have a PSUserConfig.txt file in my prefs (settings) folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone still seeing this with the latest update 22.3.1. 

We haven't been able to reproduce this in recent builds/versions and haven't heard any reports recently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines