M: Save in actions get me 'Could not save ... because the file name was not valid'

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I run the latest photoshop cc 21.1.0 20200212.r.106 2020/02/12: 4dd027efb58 x64. 

After the last update, whenever I try to save *.psd or *.jpg in actions I get the message: 

"Could not save 'file name' becasue the file name was not valid/ 

These actions worked for years without any problem. 

I restarted my computer, I re-installed photoshop - nothing helps. 

It is very important in my workflow. 

What am I missing?

Is it a known bug of the new update?

Thanks,

Alon

[Moderator note: PS-43966]

TOPICS
Bug, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020
Hi all, This should be fixed in the 21.1.1 update that went out this week. Please update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you. Regards, Pete

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we (4 graphist) got the same issue ; a simple actions script : export jpg, 3 differents folders, 3 differents quality. "U:\" is a local network drive. We do this several times per day since 2010 ! Please Adobe, add new stuff, why not, but don't try to change what is working well already.

and can we talk about this warning message ? "not possible ...... because" can we get the END of this message ?

Ah, I got it, it's a riddle !

PS-2020.JPG

PS-2020-0.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image Processor Pro can be used in two ways:

1) the obvious way, as an alternative to batch

2) less obviously, IPP can be recorded into an action as a save step. It records as a blank step, but plays back fine.

A custom script could also be used to replace an action save step, however, it is unconfirmed if either of these alternatives work around the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had problems recording IPP plug-in steps in Actions in some versions of Photoshop.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. 

Nothing of value to add, just wanted to put my hat in for experancing the same thing. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An action that saves a file first and then size of picture and canvas size is adjusted and then to be saved to a different folder has failed to work since update to PS2020. Error message: can not save file as file name is not valid. This is only for the second file save, the first file save works fine in the action. It looks as if the path to the first folder is copied to the file name for the second file save, which makes it invalid. Is Windows OS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am testing and everything works fine when running action on single image. Can you upload action somewhere to test it? Otherwise please at least take screenshot with save steps expanded  so we can find potential problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to roll back a few versions to get this to work.  If you open Photoshop, open your file, and press the action that exports several different files it will export the first two or three, then give the error.  If you try it again, same file, but without closing Photoshop, it will immediately error.  Close Photoshop, will work for a couple, then error.  Tried it on LOTS of files, can save (re-record action) just fine, all works, but it doesn't work as an action.  And scripting is NOT an option for what I am doing.  Cannot update to the latest until this is fixed.  Someone else said it right, this is extremely expensive software to have major bugs that hinder production.

That crash on resize problem was bad enough, and it lasted for months!  Is there a reason why Adobe developers don't believe the problems exist, even when multiple people complain about the issues?  It comes across as a "we can do no wrong" attitude.  I reported an Illustrator issue over 100 times, putting in my contact info etc.  Took more than a year to get a fix.  Repeatable, examples, etc., but no one wants to admit it's broken.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug, it has been mentioned more than once in other topic threads. I am not sure if scripts are also affected, so it may be possible to work around the issue in the short term.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you reproduce problem in 21.1?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, scripting is not a work-around in the short term.  When your workflow depends on actions, long, detailed actions, then scripting doesn't fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can replace this step with a script (SaveAs) and everything will work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it does work.
Saving example as psd

try {
    var pth = "~/desktop"; // or other valid path

var d = new ActionDescriptor();
    var d1 = new ActionDescriptor();
    d1.putBoolean(stringIDToTypeID("maximizeCompatibility"), false);
    d.putObject(stringIDToTypeID("as"), stringIDToTypeID("photoshop35Format"), d1);
    d.putPath(stringIDToTypeID("in"), new File(pth + "/" + File.decode(app.activeDocument.name)));
    executeAction(stringIDToTypeID("save"), d, DialogModes.NO);
    }
catch (e) { alert(e); }

EDIT:

I thought you wrote "script does not work." Sorry. Off topic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are already 7 - 9 similar topics on Scripting forum starting from half of February.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! There was an update today and it works again. More than 2 weeks isn't great, but happy it is resolved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This should be fixed in the 21.1.1 update that went out this week.

Please update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you.

Regards,

Pete

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated photoshop and now the actions works fine!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yayyyyy! Thanks for the update Roelsi!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm, working here as well. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has just updated to  21.1.0. I am on Windows 10, also just updated to latest version.  I can save files as any extension anywhere using file / save as but when I try to run an action which saves files as jpegs at full quality into a folder on my computer using a programmed function key I get the following error:

I can save the files to the folder by using the save as function but not by running the action on open files in Photoshop.
It works fine using Batch / Automate on a folder but not on open files in Photoshop. 
I have deleted and recreated the action but the problem persists.
This action saves me a lot of time in my workflow.
Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop could not save.jpg

This is the error message.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kukurykus, I didn't have the issue with the last version of Photoshop, only when I upgraded to 21.1.01

So it is a bug and has been reported by the look of it, I hope it is fixed soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue with one difference - I get the error when running the action on a folder as well as opened files.  

I have deleted and rewritten the action.

Even reinstalled PS

No luck

Win 10 PS 21.1.0

It is making me nuts. Help me Adobe wan Kenobe.  You're my only hope....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines