Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Marquee Tool Selection Aligned Incorrectly

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

A few weeks ago when my photoshop automatically updated the marquee tool "marching ants" started being misaligned to my actual selection. I have checked with other users and they are having the same issue. I had hoped the next update would fix this bug, but I just updated to the most recent version and nothing has changed.

I work in individual pixels, and it is very hard to know if I have accurately selected a pixel when the selection is off. Please someone tell me there is a fix for this!

I've included a picture of the image below. The "marching ants" are every so slightly within the black rather than on the edge.

I've worked in photoshop for over 10 years using pixels to design and this has never been an issue.

Marquee Tool Alignment Issue.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the Preferences? Within the General tab of the Photoshop Preferences is the button Reset Preferences On Quit

While not a fix, the Creative Cloud App allows for multiples versions of Photoshop to be simultaneously installed. Perhaps you could use an earlier version until you find a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael, 

Thank you for your reply. I tried resetting the marquee tool as well as the eyedropper tool, which is often the tool I use to select a group of pixels that are the same color. Unfortunately, neither did anything. I will definitely consider going back to a previous version of photoshop if the problem continues to go unresolved!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate. Hope you find a solution soon.

You said that you tried resetting individual tools but did you try resetting Photoshop itself? This is often the solution for odd Photoshop behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure what you wrote is correct, At scree resolution at view actual pixels  its most like just a rendering issue. Its not actually possible to  outline actual pixels.  Make sure anti Aliasing of off for selection  make the selection then zoom way in so you can see the pixels grid and check the alignment

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack, 

Thank you for your reply. I'm not always looking to select individual pixels, although we do do that often and the marquee tool as no trouble selecting them and doing what I need it to do in terms of moving them or changing an individual pixel or small group of pixels colors, the selection is just visually it's just ever so slightly off and it makes it hard to work. The screen shot you sent over has the same issue, I have, just ever so slightly off and this was not an issue prior to the update a few weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The are two screen shots I show of the same thin in. One zoomed to 100%  actual pixels where you see the problem you wrote about. The  second capture is the same image the same selection  but Zoomed into where you can see the individual pixel in the Photoshop's  pixels grid wgere you can see the is no actual issue with the selection. Photoshop clearly show the Black pixels are selected and the red pixels are outside the selection.   The selection is correct but you are dissatisfied at photoshop 22.0.1 rendering of the selection when the image is displayed at you display solution. The marching ants overlay has to cover some image pixel there is no grid that cans be used to latch the selection to to delineate the actual pixels.  Adobe made major changes to Photoshop. Change GPU support.  Posted many know issues in 2021 and other have beed foud.  Hope filly Adobe will fix this rendering issue and get it as close  as possible like older version of Photoshop it look off by a pixel in the x and y directions in PS 2021.   I hope Adobe fixes this other isues they create in 2021 that impact user.   Use Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.4 till Adobe address issues in Photoshop 2021.  Adobe always release code before it's ready for use.  

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly! It is a redering issue, not a function issue. The function works just fine and selects the appropriate full pixels. The problem is that visually the selection looks about 1/20th of a pixel off, which makes it hard to ensure the selection is correct when you are more zoomed out! I will consider going back to a former version until adobe fixes the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue! The magic wand and CMD Click on layer, create a marquee about 1 pixel down to the right of the actual area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Yes, it's not really an actual pixel off, it's more like 1/20th or 1/30th of a pixel down and to the right. The function of the marquee selection works fine, but visually it is off and makes it hard to know that you have the correct selection. I hope they fix it soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution to this or any more information about it? I noticed it immediately after the update that changed it and this has been driving me crazy since. I've used Photoshop nearly every day for pixel-level work and about everything else since around the release of Photoshop 6.0 and this new behavior seems completely reckless and unnecessary, to the point that I've been wondering if it wasn't just a local issue or an accidental bug that would be fixed with a new update. Since now I see that others see the same thing, this leads me to believe this was a conscious design decision, but I still haven't found any more information about it.

It seems extremely strange that Adobe would implement this behavior on purpose without even adding an option to use the legacy rendering so I'm still not sure. If anyone has more information on this, I'm very interested in knowing more. I too will be reverting to an older version of Photoshop — this new rendering is a deal-breaker for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

No, unfortunately, I have never found a solution. After several updates the visualization of your selection using the marquee tool is still off (skued down and to the right). It is very annoying, but I've gotten used to having to zoom in to know I have the right thing selected as well as knowing that as long as it looks off down and to the right then the correct thing is selected...really wish they would fix it as there is no reason to have it visually off like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. It seems that you and I are in exactly the same boat. I've also resorted to the frustrating and terribly inefficient practice of zooming, re-checking, and just dealing with it. Adobe, please fix this — you're killing your power users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue since moving to PS 21 from PS 20. 

Really annoying and no idea how ot fix it. Another Adobe update another bag of bugs 😕 

As you say, functionality is fine but every selection is currently a leap of faith and not good for constant all-day designing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening for me, with the latest update that was applied in early April 2021. No one has found any answers from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope....no answer from them at all. It is very annoying. For a graphic design software I don't understand why this hasn't been corrected yet. I'm now going on a 6 months of this misaligned marquee tool. I wish they would fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, there's still no solution as far as I know. It's frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have amazing news for everyone that noticed and was impacted by this issue! The latest version 22.4.2 has FIXED it!

Here is a comparison of the image I posted in November 2020 and the image from today! A huge shout out to the Adobe Employee who looked into this issue. I messaged him after he responded to a post about an unrelated issue and brought up this issue and and clearly he did something to get it fixed!! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the comparison imbedded instead of attached.

Marquee Tool Fixed Comparison 6-8-21.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is great news! This issue was the single most annoying Adobe issue I've ever had to deal with... I haven't updated to the latest version yet, but assuming this is correct, I'm thrilled that this got the attention it needed. Huge thanks to whoever fixed this! And thanks CMD42187 for reporting back on the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines