• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menu Bug/Error with Drop-Down Menus in Photoshop 2021 on Windows 10

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens in PS only. When I click on something like View, Layer, or Window and then try to select something in the drop-down menu, it glitches and goes to one of the drop-down menus to the left. My cursor is over Window but then jumps to 3D. I've made a short video to demonstrate the issue. Any assistance would greatly, greatly be appreciated because it's beyond aggrivating. 

https://youtu.be/P2e8OLDKD54

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both CC and PS. I have tried previous versions as well. I haven't gone through every previous version as I'd like to be able to stay up to date. Thanks for your time and kind attention. Any help at all would greatly be appreciated.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble due to the issue with the menus in Photoshop 2021. Would you mind telling us since when are you facing this issue? Are you using a high resolution monitor & a wireless mouse? Have you tried changing the mouse to check if that makes a difference? Do you experience similar behavior when selecting the tools as well or is this restricted to the Menus?

If you have an alternate monitor to test, try connecting that to check if you experience the same behavior. Also, though this might not make any difference, but you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Also try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am also facing similar issues with accessing menus in FrameMaker 2020. I am unable to select a specific menu. When I click on the File or  Edit menu, the Help menu opens up. It is quite random as to which menu will open next. This is not happening in any other program that I have recently used. I tried it in InDesign and Illustrator, and those apps are working fine. It seems that the issue is not with the mouse or keyboard then. I am using FM version 16.0.1 on Windows 10 Pro.

Please help! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted under the wrong product. Please ignore.

I found the answer for this issue at https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/fm-2020-file-edit-and-two-other-menus-collapse-and-disappe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having the same trouble plus another one:

Issue 1
Selecting a menu shows the drop-down for that menu but when I move the mouse down the menu for a different menu item opens. It doesn’t affect the tools that I’ve found so far except for:

Issue 2.
I select the Clone Stamp tool then select an area [ALT] + [CLICK] to copy from. As soon as I move the mouse over the area to which I want the clone to apply and then click I get a long diagonal stripe across the image as if its copying a strip, not just the area I’m trying to clone. See attached image.

What I’ve found so far:

Changing from a wireless to a wired mouse makes no difference.

Changing the Windows scaling settings makes no difference.

Changing monitors from 4k to HD does make a difference – neither issue is found on the HD monitor.

Since I use the 4k monitor for editing high quality photos Photoshop is currently no use!

Operating system is Windows 10.

Graphics Card Nvidia M5000

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have the same Problem with PS 2023 - OS is Windows 11.

I am very unhappy - so PS is for me nearly unusable.

I did unistall PS with deletion of all preferneces and reinstall PS today - no difference - the same issue 

Greetings Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem with the current version of PS using Windows 11. It started after the previous update (I think). PS virtually unuseable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try a thorough reset of Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state. This method ensures all preferences and any user presets which may be causing a problem are not loaded.

1. Quit Photoshop.

2. Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.
    macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
    Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note: The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
  3. Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings

4. Open Photoshop.

New preferences files will be created in their original location.

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behaviour may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviours in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customise per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

If that doesn't fix the issue:

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.

Still hanging? 

Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. 

Do you still have problems?

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! It’s worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggesations but it doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling Photoshop and reinstalling but it doesn't help.

Photoshop still works fine on an HD monitor, but not on a 4k monitor.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikep40089038 did you go throungh the entrire complete removal and reistallation as described? I realise it’s a pain but it really does work very often

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NB, colourmanagement net 

Yes I did - in fact Adobe Support did it for me, but it hasn't solved the problem, which is specific to my Dell 4k monitor (and looking at the comments above possibly other makes as well). As I said in my original post it works fine on my HD monitor plugged into the same graphics card and just moving the PhotoShop window from one screen to the other.

Adobe say it is therefore a monitor problem and my cynical self fully expects Dell to say it is an Adobe problem when I contact them!

I'll let you know what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikep40089038 ah, sorry, how frustrating. Could it be a cable, mayeb try swoping the display cable - I've had a ton of USB-C cable issues as well as others in display connection situations 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem, when I clidk on a dropdown menu and move the mouse down into the menu, Photoshop slides over and shows a different dropdown. It just started this week.  I had it a year agao, and then it just went away.

I reak can't face Neil's N-step process, and someone says it didn't work.  Photohop worked fine for years for me, and suddenly this cropped up.  I have Classic Photoshop form the updated Adobe package , with a high def monitor.  I found some settings online that used to help, but don't seem to matter anymore.
https://danantonielli.com/app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix-2019/

My screen res is 300% or 350%, doesn't seem to matter. My only fix is to click the name of the dropown I want and the CAREFULLY scroll down into it with the arrow keys instead of the mouse.

Also the dalog boxes aren't scaled, so I get get to the lower buttons 
Photoshop is becoming close to useless for me, and I try to do as much as I can in Lightroom.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I fixed the problem for me.  I unded that old 2019 "fix" for high-dpi-displays that I'd been using, and then the drop down menus were fine. Probably nobody else had the exact prob, but for the record

Right click on Photoshop shortcut icon on screen

Select Properties

Select Compatabillit

Selct Acdvanced

Select Change High DPI

Uncheck the box at the bottom...in case at some point you'd turned that one on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rudytheelder That doesn't work for me as the High DPI check box is ticked but greyed out so I can't untick it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much It works for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested it with a new high-data rate HDMI cable and it doesn't make a difference. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NB, colourmanagement net @rudytheelder @Martin28823382rx4j 

A SOLUTION AT LAST!

I tried:

• Different graphics card.
  • Updating graphics card drivers.
  • Different HDMI cable.
  • Different 4K monitor.
  • Photoshop clean out and reinstall by Adobe Support (a few weeks ago now)

None of the above worked for me.

Finally solved the problem by applying the most recent Photoshop update - softare now shows as 'Photoshop 2024, Release 25.0.0.'

Phew!

Cheers

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikep40089038 thanks for letting us know, lets hope this update will fix it for the many users having problems with apearance and apparent GPU incompatabilities.

I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines