• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing destination files when duplicating layers

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone encountered the problem where duplicating layers to different open files often has files missing? The only solution I've found is to duplicate to a completely new document and from there, all open files are visible. This is a recent issue for me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Here is the demo of the bug. It still present.

Documents are identical in color profiles, DPIs' etc
Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.3.1 20210406.r.122 990be2c x64

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand your question Photoshop is a document editor.  Files open into Photoshop  as a Photoshop document that may have layers or only  have a single layer. You duplicate Layer into other open documents  you do not duplicate file into other documents,  You can place in file as a smart object layer. Photoshop works on Documents and works with layers not files. 

Your image show you open several file  into Photoshop and the document name reflect they were PSD files, You can duplicate layer into those open document that have been open from psd files. You can select them as the destination for the duplicate. As will as the new unsaved document Untitled-1, or even create a new document to receive the layer or group of layers.

FromFile.pngFromNewDocument.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack – let me rephrase my issue.  

The two screenshots I attached are when I duplicate a layer from a document I'm working on (with lots of working layers) vs. when I duplicate from a new (mostly blank) document. Open documents are *missing* when I try to duplicate a layer from the document I'm working on. The *same* number of documents are open when I took both of these screenshots.

This is a very annoying bug and it's time consuming to duplicate to a blank document before I can duplicate to another open working document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10 in current  Photoshop 2021 though it has issues. Duplicate Layer seem OK.  I just opened a large number of images  of images,  In Duplicate layer dialog destination I get a pull down list that I can scroll and select the destination to be any of the opened documents. All 70 open images are in the list plus NEW

image.png

I see the same in CS6

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the demo of the bug. It still present.

Documents are identical in color profiles, DPIs' etc
Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.3.1 20210406.r.122 990be2c x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not edit in tabs. However, when I consolidate 3 document to tabs and use menu Layer>Duplicate Layer... there are no missing document in the pull down on my windows 10 PC in Photoshop 22.4.2.  Are you using a Mac?

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-10-06 16_53_14-2020-10-06 - Adobe Support Community_Updated.png
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same problem is happening for me. Two years later. Has anyone figured out a fix?bug.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem. It just started up in the last couple days. It doesn't happen with all documents, just some randomly. And even if I duplicate the layers to a new document and then try to duplicate into the document I need them in from there, it still does not work. This is a big problem when you have to duplicate assets across a campaign with lots of ad sizes and types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also now having this problem after updating to version 23.2.2. Not giving me options to duplicate layers to certain files in the dropdown within the Duplicate Layer window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, I've noticed it seems to be adjustment layers which aren't being allowed to duplicate to a different file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it could be a solution, but in my case, it depends on the selected layer in the Layer palette of the destination file.

If it's selected an empty layer group, the destination file does not appear in the opened files list:

01.png

If the selected layer is a layer, the file does appear in the list:

02.png

Maybe it can help.

Cheers

Lorenzo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I think this might well be the solution. Same as a lot of Photoshop issues... always check the layer you have selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm suddenly having this same problem after updating to the latest verstion of PS. I really wish I hadn't done the update. Has anyone found the solution? I've tried everything, nothing works. Now, suddenly, all I can do is duplicate layers (or groups) to a new artboard but PS doesn't see the other files I have open, the ones i need to duplicate to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey it ended up being that the files I wanted to duplicate to were just in a different color mode. I think the update has CMYK as the default setting but most photoshop work I do is in RGB so I just needed to change the color mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem since the update (just updated a couple of weeks ago), except my layers and docs are in the same color mode. I can still drag from one doc to the other, but they don't copy into the same position, and it's kind of a chore to try to line them up correctly. So odd that this basic funtion doesn't seem to work anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still happening version 24.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines