• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Most recent updated of Photoshop CANNOT make gifs?? Is this a joke?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated my CC Suite and now it has come to my attention that we can no longer save GIFs for web usage, a hack was suggested in which we can use the option to Export As (rather than the traditional Save For Web) to save our gifs. I tried that and quickly found that the '.gif' files saved do not move at all when uploaded to any site or shared.

So... what's the deal? I've been using PS for over 12 years, nearly daily and I need to be able to create GIFs.

Has this update actually 100% removed creators abilities to make or edit any and all GIFs for web format? Someone, please tell me they weren't actually thick enough to remove that? And if that's the case, can someone please suggest alternate software that I can create and edit my own GIFs (that are actually GIFs and will work) as well as create PNG, JPEG, etc. like PS is supposed to let us, I will definitely be taking my money elsewhere. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the first to claim to have problems with Save for Web but I for one simply cannot reproduce the issue and can indeed still create animated gifs via Save for Web. 

What are your Photoshop and OS versions? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for replying

PS: v 20.0.8

I have been googling and searching for over an hour now, I have reset PS settings, I have gone through the Known Issues, I've troubleshoot-ed and restarted everything twice as well as tried to create different documents in case it was a file error but to no avail.

I updated it only earlier today, prior to that update I had no problem and never have over the years now this is what comes up when I press save - up til that point, everything else works as normal.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.54.59 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just cannot reproduce the issue on Adobe Photoshop 21.0.3 and Mac OS 10.15.3. 

Could you try 21? (Just make sure not to uninstall the previous version with the upgrade.)

Someone else recently claimed that an Adobe representative stated SfW was being discontinued but I could not find such a statement, though I found ones from 2015 stating that it was on »Legacy« (not being developed further) but would not be removed without alternatives for its existing features. 

This existing Report of SfW on Cataline I found does not seem to cover your specific issue 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/save-for-web-bugs-on-macos-10-15-catalina

so maybe you should post a Report over there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried manually removing –/Library/Preferenes/Adobe Save for Web 13.0 Prefs before starting Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! After obviously going through the norm troubleshooting, the community help forums and the like I actually managed to contact Adobe support and, after going through the OS/PS/CC versions etc, I allowed him remote access to my computer in an effort to figure out the problem.

Sadly, after about an hour proved to be utterly useless as he tried to convince me that:

1. To create a gif file that is supported outside of the PS window (Discord, Tumblr, Facebook, Giphy. etc) you have to first save it as an HTML file in the Save For Web window, then drag it to your desktop, then drag it to a web browser and then save it again.
  2. This is the way that gifs have always been made since 2018 (^ above)
    (From: Kuldeep (Adobe) - it works this way only. If you want we can provide you the download link for 2018 version and you can check it works the same way there as well.)
  3. Actually was the macBook's fault (From: Kuldeep (Adobe)That preview is from mac. Not of adobe.)

After I pointed out that my problem was never the ability to create a gif within photoshop's software  (as I already knew how) and that the 'GIFs' were only working within an Adobe window, and the problem ONLY started after this most recent update that I downloaded a few hours prior, and any version of anything he had tried to do was an uploadable, readable file for web/upload usage -  and that was the whole issue, he said:

• ----------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2020-02-08 21:52:23 +08
    To: Everyone
    Taylor, we showed you how it works, we played the gif in Photoshop as well as tumblr.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2020-02-08 21:52:32 +08
    It worked fine.
    Date: 2020-02-08 21:52:45 +08
    The workflow that you need is not how photoshop is designed.
    Date: 2020-02-08 21:53:43 +08
    This is how the gif works. If you would go through the article that I gave you . It is the same procedure.

So... according to their online help, Photoshop has never had an ability to create gifs any other way than that 4-step, mental gymnastics that was laid out above, it's actually mac that is causing the .gif files to not actually move and his best advice was to link me to this crackerjack article on step-by-step how-to guide of how to make gifs dated Feb, 2016... so four years and at least a solid 15 versions ago: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/make-animated-gif.html

Safe to say I'm severely more ticked off than I was before. 

Still searching for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having the same problem!!!!!!! HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with version: Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.3.0 20210302.r.49 660cd2e x64

When you click Export As, notice in the side left and only one picture is being show from your timeline. That's why it's not working. Adobe needs to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work around. Use the Export As Legacy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a noob and I just realised that I need to "Select All Frames" in the Timeline panel before I export using the "Save for Web" in order to create animted gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this same issue. I'm not an expert but what helped me was to:

Export - Save for web (legacy) - then click "preview" on the bottom left, and it will open in a browser. Once opened, right-click and save it on your computer, it should save as a gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines