• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move tool moves wrong layer...

Explorer ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something has changed. I always paste an image on a layer then select the layer and use the Move Tool to move it around until it is placed where I want it. Now I paste the image, select the layer, choose the Move Tool and the layer selection jumps to another layer and that one gets moved.

Anyone else having this problem (CS5)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Take a look in the top tool bar for a check box. If this is enable you can select a layer by clicking on it from the canvas, if not checked, then you need to select the layer in the layers panel or use the modifier key to select it on the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a better shot!Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the move tool selected it is here2020-02-01_17-32-31.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found it! IMoveIcon.JPGt actually looks totally different in my version of Photoshop.  It is a layer icon - toggle not a check mark. I will see if I can attach an image again for the sake of others that run into the same problem.  But thank you for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have the Narrow Options bar enabled in Preferences >Workspace >Condensed

That replaces some words with icons

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...thank you for your help and patience.  I don't see the "Condensed" option.  Here is a pic of my Preferences>Performance window.  While we're at it should I change those settings for better performance?  If so I will start another thread or look for one on this subject.  Thank you.

Pref-Performance-Window.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FreedomRun:

You are in Preferences > Performance. Dave said Preferences > Workspace.

ps.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get completely crazy about this. With or without checking it in the box mnetioned, it simply doesnt work anymore, I cannot move my layer, even though I locked the other layer it keeps on moving the wrong one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get completely crazy about this. With or without checking it in the box mnetioned, it simply doesnt work anymore, I cannot move my layer, even though I locked the other layer it keeps on moving the wrong one. 

By @Doris24117826pby0

Doris, do you definitely have Auto Select unchecked in the Options bar?

And is it set to Layer?

image.png

IME a lot of us prefer to leave it turned off, and monetarily turn it on by holding down Ctrl/Cmd key.

Another way to find and select the right layer is to right click over that layer's content in the document window.  On the left below it is ambiguous because two layers overlap, but carefully positioning the cursor cuts it back (we don't count the background layer).  Clicking layer 3 in the example below will cause it to be selected in the layers panel, and that's the layer thhat will be moved.  This can be handy if you have a lot of layers — especially if you are like me, and don't always give the layers meaningful names.

image.pngimage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is definitely unchecked for the layer option. I know the other way of selecting a layer you are describing but unfortunately the same thing happens 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines