Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving the pivot point in Photoshop.

Engaged ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am finding that when I try to move the pivot point to a different location within a selected image, in order to change the rotation point, the whole selection moves, not just the pivot point. As I understand it, it should be a very simple matter to drag the pivot to a different location. I have tried re-starting my i~Mac osx 10.14.6, and re-starting Photoshop 2019. I cannot move the pivot point on it's own. Does anyone have any advice about this? Grateful for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Are you seeing the cursor change from just an arrow to an arrow with a little diamond next to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Hold the opt key then click to move the pivot point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

If you can not see the center point.

Make sure this check box is selected in the transform panel.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 120825.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi press Ctrl + T after selecting any layer then you see transform panel you get relation icon turn off it then you can get piviot point as shown in picture...Regards

pic.JPG

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing the cursor change from just an arrow to an arrow with a little diamond next to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold the opt key then click to move the pivot point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who offered advice re. moving the pivot point.

I have learnt something.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to see the pivot point when I did an alt/option click on it to move it.  In the current version of Photoshop CC there is no visible pivot point.  Why would they remove the familiar plus sign which indicated the pivot point?

Mary Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking for this answer. The center point that you can move for the pivot point is gone! Why would they do this. It was sooo helpful! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can not see the center point.

Make sure this check box is selected in the transform panel.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 120825.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks rawfires, that has saved me A LOT of aggravation... i've been cursing whenever I rotate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer -- and so simple (once you know!) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I worked out some years ago is that when you need to be precise, dragging the Reference point is not a great option.  It doesn't snap to guides or other objects.  So the answer is to drag the Grid zero, zero point to that location which _will_ snap to a guide intersection.  (Green arrow)

Then, when using Free Transform, Alt place the Reference point close to the guide intersection, and then fine tune by entering 0.0 in the X: and Y: fields in the Options Bar.  This gives you a 100% accurate rotation point.

I worked this out when using Step & Repeat to produce minute marks on a clock face illustration, and getting annoyed when the last one did not align with the first one.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, excellent method, but IMHO, users should not have to master Photoshop that much to acheive that, hence this feature request: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/snap-to-guides-or-objects-when-moving-refer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can i lock the pivot point?
After i change and select something else it goes back to center of the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OÄŸuz34415457jaq4 

You can't lock the pivot point.

Would Trevor's method (above) work for you?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't they fix the photoshop UI to make this easy an intuitve?  I could only make this work as others pointed out by cropping to 1:1 then appying a radial blur so it's centered properly.

Please fix the UI!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you be more specific re your issue please?  If you could provide a screen shot, I feel sure we could help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For people looking for FT reference point, you can turn it on in Preferenbes > Tools

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines