Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My color picker will only show colors in greys

Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden when I try using my paint bucket or eye dropper or color picker it will interpret the color I choose in a grey. It is utilizing the grey scale only.

What happened. I am working in CS3. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Need to do an Image --> Mode --> RGB perhaps....?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet you're targetting a mask, or went into quick mask mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I played around with the quick mask tool and it didn't correct the problem. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to do an Image --> Mode --> RGB perhaps....?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. That was it. It forced me to flatten everything so I need to start over, but I have the tool back. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imported a black picture and it was in grayscale mode. This fixed it for me! (For anyone googling this in 2019 lol )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get this, where am I supposed to go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the color picker is grayscale only, you need to do one of three things.

• If the image itself is grayscale, go Image > Mode > RGB
  • If you're targeting a mask instead of pixel content, click the image thumbnail in Layers
  • If you're in Quick mask mode, press Q.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man... I tried all the options, my settings are in RGB yet Photoshop is only picking black and some dark gray tones. Please check the photo attached. Any idea what else I can do?

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 years down the line and your comment is still helping people out. Thanks so much 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If none of the aforementioned issues were at play could you post a screenshot for possible further clues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mask was it for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Eyedropper tool and check if you're sample size is point select and not an avarage like 3 by 3. Point sample is the actual pixel and ther other options select an average, which most of the time turn them into a grey colour because it combines a lot of colours. Hope that solves your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I'm in RGB mode and I'm not selecting a mask? I can select colors with the color picker manually, but holding ALT and sampling a color shows the correct color, but as soon as I let go of the click it changes to grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I opened an image I've worked with before. I'm in RGB color, not in a mask and not in quick mask mode. When using the eyedropper, the correct color flashes for a second, and then is converted to a gray. I can see the position of the indicator on the Color panel move after I click - from the color to a gray.

I can manually select a non-gray color in the Color panel myself and use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It just randomly stopped happening after I made the layer invisible, moved to another layer, and then returned to the original layer. 😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed I'm having this same problem. Never saw it prior to this most recent update. Tried replicating your "fix" but to no avail. Has the issue persisted at all for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes it did continue with that document if I remember correctly and my fix was only temporary. Ultimately I believe I had to copy my layers over into a new document to continue working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, the same happened to me here today. So I closed Photoshop and opened it again, then opened the file, and the eye drop seems to be working correctly now. Don't know if it's temporary though... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Eyedropper tool and check if you're sample size is point select and not an avarage like 3 by 3. Point sample is the actual pixel and ther other options select an average, which most of the time turn them into a grey colour because it combines a lot of colours. Hope that solves your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your currently open document (file) perhaps 'greyscale mode'? That would do it.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

Adobe Photoshop & illustrator, when the colour I choose in a grey shows the brown screen. Save as JPG or png look shows another grey is real or Microsoft paint shows grey screen good. What happened? How do I will fix this?
Please help for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your currently open document (file) perhaps 'greyscale mode'? That would do it.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows display profile, display profile issues on Windows

Here's something to try

It'll only take a few minutes and is good troubleshooting.

At least once a week on this forum we read about this, or very similar issues of appearance differing between colour managed applications.

Of course you must not expect accurate colour with programs such as Windows "Photos", because in most versions colour management is not implemented there, so such programs are incapable of providing accurate image display.

Unfortunately, with Microsoft hardware: Windows updates, Graphics Card updates and Display manufacturers have a frustratingly growing reputation for automatically installing useless (corrupted) monitor display profiles.

I CAN happen with Macs but with far less likelihood, it seems.]

The issue can affect different application programs in different ways, some not at all, some very badly.

The poor monitor display profile issue is hidden by some applications, specifically those that do not use colour management, such as Microsoft Windows "Photos".

Photoshop is correct, it’s the industry standard for viewing images, in my experience it's revealing an issue with the Monitor Display profile rather than causing it. Whatever you do, don't ignore it. As the issue isn’t caused by Photoshop, please don’t change your Photoshop ‘color settings’ to try fix it.

To find out if the monitor display profile is the issue, I recommend you to try temporarily setting the monitor profile for your own monitor display under “Device” in your Windows ‘color management’ control panel to “sRGB IEC61966-2.1”. (If you have a wide gamut monitor display (check the spec online) it’s better to try ‘AdobeRGB1998” here instead as it more closely approximates the display characteristics).

Click ‘Start’, type color in the search box,

then click Color Management. In the Devices tab, ensure that your monitor is selected in the Device field.

You can click to ADD to add “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” (or AdobeRGB1998) if not already listed there.

Again - IF you have a wide gamut display I suggest trying “AdobeRGB1998”

Once it’s selected, be sure to check “Use my settings for this device” up top.

And click on “set as Default Profile - bottom right

Color Management.jpg

Screenshot of Color Management Control Panel

Quit and relaunch Photoshop after the control panel change, to ensure the new settings are applied.

Depending on the characteristics of your monitor display and your requirements, using sRGB or Adobe RGB here may be good enough - but no display perfectly matches either, so a custom calibration is a superior approach.

If this change to the Monitor Display profile temporarily fixes the appearance issue, it is recommended that you should now calibrate and profile the monitor properly using a calibration sensor like the i1display pro, which will create and install its own custom monitor profile. The software should install its profile correctly so there should be no need to manually set the control panel once you are doing this right.

Still got problems?

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines