Exit

My computer keeps crashing/running out of scratch disk

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS I get "unable to save scratch disks full"

In Bridge I get "encountered a problem and unable to read cache"

It's like I'm out of memory, but I have over 500GB of memory left? It makes no sense.

Then my computer freezes and restarts. This happened...8 or more times yesterday while editing a wedding.

It's actually been happening for months, and it keeps getting worse. I've tried doing the live chatbot, but it took them 5 hours to control my computer to not fix a thing. Waste of time.

My computer was working pretty fine until I updated to Big Sur. I tried as long as I could to wait, but then the new CC updates had bugs with the old system. It seems like no matter what I do, I can't win. I'm at a loss.

DO NOT tell me to uncheck the graphics card in performance. That makes file handling slow, worse. I need things to work FAST as I work with a lot of large files at once.

My ACR won't even use the graphics card... so frustrating!

I am exhausted trying to troubleshoot. And I need this fixed ASAP. I'm right at the start of the busy season and my iMac is barely functional. Idk what to do anymore.

Please see my attached images before answering. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 7.48.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.37.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.40.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.40.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.41.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.47.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.41.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.42.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.41.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.41.17 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mjhuizel wrote:

In PS I get "unable to save scratch disks full"

I work with a lot of large files at once.

Hi

If you are getting the Scratch Disks Full error message, then you need to have more free unused space on your computer. Working with a lot of large files at once requires more free space than working on small files one at a time. Photoshop has told you that what you have is not enough. Try the steps here to free up more space or add another drive:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-scratch-disk-is-full.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously didnt read or look at the images, did you?

I have over 600gb of space available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mjhuizel wrote:

My computer was working pretty fine until I updated to Big Sur. I tried as long as I could to wait, but then the new CC updates had bugs with the old system. It seems like no matter what I do, I can't win. I'm at a loss

This is a guess because it’s a very strange and rare problem since you have all that free space: After you updated to Big Sur, and started many of your Mac applications (including Adobe software), macOS should have asked you to approve application access to various folders on your Mac, such as Documents and Desktop. This was a change in macOS starting in macOS 10.15. Can you remember if you granted permission to Photoshop and Bridge?

I’m wondering if Photoshop and Bridge are unable to create scratch/cache files because of those permissions issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We did address this when the adobe chatbot had my computer. But I
appreciate your response because ive uninstalled and reinstalled since
then. Im sure Ill need to double check the permissions.

But since i left this original message my computer crashed trying to
re-install the program, so now im thinking doing a disk repair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines